Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 7:54 pm

Post subject: What strategies do Yasova Dragonclaw decks go for?
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-20 2:10 am 

I've been taking a look at using Yasova Dragonclaw for a Temur commander. She's compelling to me because contrast to Surrak Dragonclaw, she introduces something to the deck's game plan I might not have been going to do anyway. (Surrak just means I have easy access to trample sources and won't see my creatures countered.)

OTOH, actual game plans with Yasova seem limited to one of two game plans:
  • Steal their stuff and never give it back: use sacrifice outlets like Evolutionary Leap to kill the creature in your second main phase, or blink it with Deadeye Navigator or Conjurer's Closet to keep it forever.
  • Just play Temur goodstuff and don't sweat it and borrow an extra creature each turn.

I like my decks to be fun for other players to play against, and I like them to have a consistent sort of mechanical theme they play around with. The sacrifice/permasteal is a consistent theme but I suspect it's pretty unfun to experience and would paint an X on me, and Temur goodstuff is fine but not much of a mechanical theme.

What kind of other stuff have you seen Yasova Dragonclaw decks get up to, if anything? What unusual things, even, might you have seen them do? What other options am I overlooking that I could do?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What strategies do Yasova Dragonclaw decks go for?
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-20 7:20 am 

As far as I can remember, the three Yasova decks I have seen were:
1) The low-hanging fruit steal & sac type deck
2) Run every threaten in addition to Yasova and use them to beat people up but still return them (very silly player piloting this)
3) Voltron build where the steal was used to get value and remove blockers

I think my favorite cards I saw from among those decks was Assault Suit.

Off the top of my head, other ideas for Yasova that might be more outside the box:
4) Steal other people's creatures and buff them before giving them back. (thinking maybe Vow of Wildness and friends, Assault Suit to keep them from using it to attack you).
5) Steal other people's stuff then donate it permanently to a third player.
6) Cowardice and Dismiss into Dream. You don't even have to pay the cost if the ability doesn't resolve.
7) Sunken Hope/Species Gorger + Gilded Drake/Chromeshell Crab (that you steal back with Yasova). Kinda strays back into keeping other peoples stuff permanently, but hey at least the list will be different and hopefully interesting.

If you like any of those ideas let me know and maybe I can suggest more cards... who knows, I might even build the deck too if it starts looking fun.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-20 11:31 pm 

I mean, it isn't exactly paradigm-shifting or even remotely original, but Yasova is arguably the best speed voltron general there is. 4 power and evasion for 3 mana, and in the best pump colors. You'll want 10-ish Llanowar Elves variants to get him out T2, a decent number of cards to protect him, some artifact/enchantment removal, and the rest of the deck should be packed with cards like Giant Growth, Madcap Skills, and Unstable Mutation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-21 4:35 am 

Thanks both of you. I'm going to try out a voltron build. Should be fun. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-22 2:42 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I mean, it isn't exactly paradigm-shifting or even remotely original, but Yasova is arguably the best speed voltron general there is. 4 power and evasion for 3 mana, and in the best pump colors. You'll want 10-ish Llanowar Elves variants to get him out T2, a decent number of cards to protect him, some artifact/enchantment removal, and the rest of the deck should be packed with cards like Giant Growth, Madcap Skills, and Unstable Mutation.

How is anything without some form of double strike, or self pump "arguably the fastest"? She's definitely solid as an easy to cast 3 color commander with trample but not even close to the top as far as "fastest voltron" goes. Every legend with double strike is faster by design (aside from the god perhaps) as are things like Omnath, Jor Kadeen, Uril, or Ob Nixilis. She's a French vanilla 4/2. It will take a LOT to get her into two shot range while ALL the others do it much quicker, if not with a single boost. The possible one turn advantage over some of the more expensive options does not make up for weaker innate stats and the triggered ability to remove a blocker doesn't really apply until later in the game where all the other options are just straight superior.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-25 11:09 am 

I think I am going to try to build a Yasova deck now... I got too excited about one of my ideas.
I want to go with something where I am stealing my opponents' creatures and then equipping them with things like Captain's Claws, Infiltration Lens, and Sword of the Animist that benefit me when they attack with them on their turn.
I need ways to force the equipped creature to attack, and defend myself if it swings back my way. Is it bad that I really want to play Disarm in Commander?

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies