Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 5:09 pm

Post subject: Wotc as caretakers of a format
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 5:56 am 

I do not play 1v1 commander, however I am dismayed by the way wotc continually mess with the format, and glad that the RC don't behave like that. In case you missed it they are 're-imagining' 1v1 by banning the partner mechanic and unbanning 25 cards so that the format can find a new more powerful level.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wotc as caretakers of a format
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 9:18 am 

I read a little bit about it--so I won't claim to be an expert. From what I can tell, the partner mechanic seems to really wreck the competitive scene. Taking a look at some of the competitive decks for paper, it seems like a lot of them are partners (4-Color Breakfast Hulk and Blood Pod).

But them unbanning the cards they did...holy crap. It's mind blowing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 10:44 am 

I assume we're talking about MTGO as Brawl isn't a 1v1 format?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 11:59 am 

Viperion wrote:
I assume we're talking about MTGO as Brawl isn't a 1v1 format?

Yup, from this article: Magic Online 1v1 Commander Update

Partner mechanic no longer works--players are only allowed one commander.

Following cards are unbanned:
Ancient Tomb
Brainstorm
Chrome Mox
Demonic Tutor
Dig Through Time
Enlightened Tutor
Entomb
Gaea's Cradle
Imperial Seal
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Mox Diamond
Mystical Tutor
Necropotence
Ponder
Preordain
Sol Ring
Sylvan Tutor
Treachery
Treasure Cruise
Vampiric Tutor
Vial Smasher the Fierce
Worldly Tutor
Yawgmoth's Bargain

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 12:34 pm 

Quote:
providing access to both four colors and an extra card in your starting hand is too powerful relative to the other options

Um... they do know five-colour commanders are a thing right?

And in theory aren't the partner commanders, when considered on their own, less powerful than average?

I'm really not following their logic here... (not that I play MTGO at all anyway)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-21 2:38 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Quote:
providing access to both four colors and an extra card in your starting hand is too powerful relative to the other options

And in theory aren't the partner commanders, when considered on their own, less powerful than average?

I'm really not following their logic here... (not that I play MTGO at all anyway)

The difference lies in how 5-color commanders typically require 5 or more mana to cast, generally one of each color, which makes them prohibitively expensive to cast from the commander zone and get any real use out of competitively speaking. Even then, there aren't any 5-color commanders I know of who provide a cheap draw effect (Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Sliver Overlord come somewhat close, but they are still really limited in their effects).

But with partners, you can play Thrasios, Triton Hero for infinite draw from the commander zone and then play whichever other partner gives you the other colors you need for infinite mana and other combos (such as Tymna the Weaver, giving you additional card draw options should you need it--Breakfast Hulk decklist example). From what I've read, these combinations are quite powerful for being highly consistent and resilient.

Like I said though, don't take my word on it. I'm just regurgitating the information I've found on the subject so far. Do take note though, they are unbanning Yawgmoth's Bargain, which seems like it might play out poorly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 12:56 am 

Vial-Smasher has been pretty oppressive since it came out in the 1v1 scene, so banning it was a no-brainer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 2:43 am 

cryogen wrote:
Vial-Smasher has been pretty oppressive since it came out in the 1v1 scene, so banning it was a no-brainer.

But they've just now unbanned it, after banning partners.

I guess maybe getting to use Vial Smasher + any other 1-2 colors was too oppressive?? But IIRC a lot of 1v1 decks were just R/B Vial Smasher, and I expect to see him rebanned soon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 3:00 am 

And now I'm wondering why there's a deck with all the components of a Hermit Druid combo but no Angel of Glory's Rise.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 5:05 am 

Viperion wrote:
Quote:

Segrus answered well, but also the 4c partner combo still.means you have 2 commanders, even if one less color.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 5:11 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
And now I'm wondering why there's a deck with all the components of a Hermit Druid combo but no Angel of Glory's Rise.

Muldrotha is a lot better, takes less slots and better to cast from hand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 7:09 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Sovarius is correct, Uktabi Kong--at least as far as I know. Here's a response about it on the decklist I linked:

neolithic wrote:
Muldrotha replaces Angel of Glory's Rise and Auriok Salvagers,because she is able to do the same things. Angel revives all humans for a lab man win and salvagers goes infinite with Lion's Eye Diamond. That's both possible with Muldrotha.

Cutting out the extra card gives you another deck slot for something else.

Let me say, though, that these combos are bananas. I understand them while picking through the explanation, but it'd take me quite some time to come up with them if ever.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 9:37 am 

Unbanning Sol Ring in a competitive 1 v 1 format?

Well thats going to change the power level for sure. But way more disruptive will be the variance. How many games are going to turn on who lands an early Ring? Gross

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 10:12 am 

My reaction to the change is really regarding the frequency of big changes. It was not so long since they banned all the good tutors, and now the tutors are back. It seems like a bad investment in time and money. No wonder all the streamers are burning out

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-22 11:15 am 

Segrus wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Sovarius is correct, Uktabi Kong--at least as far as I know. Here's a response about it on the decklist I linked:

neolithic wrote:
Muldrotha replaces Angel of Glory's Rise and Auriok Salvagers,because she is able to do the same things. Angel revives all humans for a lab man win and salvagers goes infinite with Lion's Eye Diamond. That's both possible with Muldrotha.

Cutting out the extra card gives you another deck slot for something else.

Let me say, though, that these combos are bananas. I understand them while picking through the explanation, but it'd take me quite some time to come up with them if ever.

But angel is an almost literal instant win with Disciple of Bolas, Cloudblazer, Fathom Mage, or Rogue Refiner, all of which are more than playable in this type of deck. Then again, it isn't strictly a hermit druid combo deck, but still.

Offline Profile