Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-16 5:01 am

Post subject: About Melding
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 4:48 am 

Is there even a little chance of a way to treat the melding angels like the "partner with" commander?
Like stating Brisela beforehand as commander, rather than Bruna and/or Gisela?
Please don't come with "houserules" - with houserules I could upgrade my Avacyn, Angel of Hope into an 5 color goodstuff deck which makes the whole point invalid.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: About Melding
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 7:19 am 

The short answer is, without houserules, no.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 9:31 am 

Souma wrote:
Please don't come with "houserules" - with houserules I could upgrade my Avacyn, Angel of Hope into an 5 color goodstuff deck which makes the whole point invalid.

If you understand how the rules are supposed to work, then why are you even asking this? You know it doesn't work. Bruna or Gisela, but never both. They don't have the partner keyword.

As someone who uses Bruna, the Fading Light as a commander just so I can occasionally kill people with Brisela, you're just being lazy. Put in the work, and the reward is that much more satisfying.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 9:51 am 

If the mechanic had existed, and it was not in standard, they probably would have had Partner With.

To answer your question : no. EDH does not do format specific errata.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-22 7:06 am 

I dont think I understand the question.

Are we talking about getting Brisela to be a legal commander under current rules? Or are we asking for a rules change to allow Brisela to somehow be the a legal commander in the same way as partner?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-22 7:25 am 

It was more about a possibility for considering Brisela as a whole as commander.
Less like "Partner with" and more "a single card, that splits in two".
Couldn't that work? I see a big no coming.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-22 9:40 am 

Souma wrote:
It was more about a possibility for considering Brisela as a whole as commander.

Probably not, for the same reason I can't choose Withengar Unbound for my partner: the card I'm choosing for my commander is the front face.

Not that I'd mind if I could pick based on legendary creatures on back faces though; Withengar would be an awesome commander and it'd be a flavorful benefit to be able to play Bruna + Gisela as partners. The other card I think it'd affect is Westvale Abbey//Ormendahl, Profane Prince.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 5:48 am 

Souma wrote:

Well, under the current rules, that's a definite no. And making that work in the rules would require card-specific errata, or an official rule to benefit a specific card(s) which historically has been a big old no as well.

Your best bet is probably to make the cheap one the commander and the other half in the 99, and then focus on recursion/protection.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 2:25 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Your best bet is probably to make the cheap one the commander and the other half in the 99, and then focus on recursion/protection.

I've had a lot of success using Bruna over Gisela with a control shell, since Bruna's cast trigger can reanimate her better half or any of s large number of threatening Humans and Angels.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-24 9:24 am 

Marit Lage wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

I've had a lot of success using Bruna over Gisela with a control shell, since Bruna's cast trigger can reanimate her better half or any of s large number of threatening Humans and Angels.

Truth be told, I forgot what they actually did, and couldn't be bothered to check.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-24 5:28 am 

House rules or not, I wouldn't object to versing any of the above technically illegal commanders. Nobody fights for Elbrus, Ormdahl or Brunella because they want to build a spikey goodstuff deck. You're fighting for flavor and that's more commander than a lot of what's out there. House rules should exactly be situations like this, and not, oh, going back to partial paris for Mister 22 lands whose deck broke when the rules changed. In fact, I'd rather play against Elbrus than a player who objected to playing against Elbrus, FWIW.

Offline Profile