[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Welcome to Valuetown

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 5:45 pm

Post subject: Welcome to Valuetown
AgePosted: 2018-May-08 10:51 am 

Just wondering if there are enough cards that are pure value to make a theme for a deck.

I'm thinking about cards that do nothing but good stuff with no drawback other than cmc or creatures that have a low cmc but a lot of useful abilities.

Some thoughts:

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Valuetown
AgePosted: 2018-May-08 2:07 pm 

I am working on a Tyman Thrasios value deck. It is also heavily hatebears because i will be suing it in a competitive meta. But besides the hatebears here is a lot of the random value i thought about. Almost every card here provides card advantage in some way. My list excludes some of these now but mostly it's just a huge tempo. The best removal and swarm them with dudes and just draw 5 cards per turn.

Not every card is here but i was thinking "what if i made a deck that's secretly commandered by Zur, Brago, Thada Adel, Edric, Derevi, Grand Arbiter, Sisay, Yisan, et al". I'm tightening to be competitive playable but i may also keep a lot of the worse off value cards so i can switch it into a casual tempo deck. But i already have a Doomsday Tymnasios deck i am swapping cards with.

Idk. I never claimed i was a great deck designer :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-08 9:48 pm 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-14 2:49 am 

I completely forgot about this thread.

I am absolutely 100% going to do that Rainbow Stairwell EDH deck!! That is an awesome, original idea!!

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-14 2:51 pm 

Here's an example, my Rainbow Stairwell Elementals. We allow hybrid to slot in either color or as gold. Also, "gold" is based on CI, not just casting cost (e.g. Embodiment of Spring). Purists shiver at the thought, but when most of the group is limited in collection size, you have to make allowances.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-14 7:03 pm 

I think that is where this thread leads. While I dig Trea's Horde Stariwell- I definitely feel like decks epitomize this concept by handling an altenrative cost scheme to offset the usual difficulties that come with playing 3 or more colors for access to tools like and which usually reward a stricter color identity's manabase with gameflipping power or push spells like into overdrive. I think that, if carefully done- this effect itself is able to platform the highest degree of value-oriented play by serving as the ultimate foundation to work from.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-15 3:18 pm 

Hmm...I don't think I'm clever enough for that. To me Jodah looks as though like he wouldn't do much for less than half of your spells. I think I'd rather go with Ramos.

I dig this concept though. I'd allow hybrid in either too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 2:04 am 

I'm working on this Rainbow Stairwell EDH deck now. I'm going to use Ramos at the head. I'm thinking I'm going to do 9 of each color and 35 lands. I'm going to use EDHREC and pick the top card for that color and type. I just need a good system for picking type and making sure I have enough creatures.

Here's my current thought. There are 5 supertypes minus Land and Artifact since land has its own slot and Artifact is too closely tied to Colorless. That means I could do two of each type except for Planeswalkers which would only get 1 per Color. I'm going to include cards with Devoid in Colorless so they can get each type as well.

This will mean I'll have a minimum of 15 creatures with the Commander. Not a lot but it may pad out with other cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-28 1:13 am 

So, if I follow correctly, your schema will be:

25 - 5x basics
10 - land cycle
63 - 1-9x CWUBRGM
---
1 commander + ?

Why only 35 lands (especially for a five color deck)?
or will it be an 11 land cycle (where there is a colorless option, like utility or cycling)?

Also, keep in mind that at 9 cmc your choices get quite slim:
Qty by CMC color - Category - Qty by CI
10 - Colorless - 8
6 - White - 5
12 - Blue - 12
9 - Black - 8
11 - Red - 10
9 - Green - 9
4 - Multi - 9 (because Bringers x 5)

Though there are some good choices in that small pool. You could also consider making that last slot "9+" (which would allow the Myojin cycle, since two of them are 10 cmc). If you decide to drift away from using 9 CMC, you could consider going 0-8 CMC, allowing 0 cost items lets you grab an extra (on-color) land or incorporate things like , , and the Pacts.

If you have 9 sots per "color" and you break it out as (at least):
4x creature = 28
1x planeswalker = 7
1x spell (instant/sorcery) = 7
1x enchantment/artifact = 7

that still leaves 2 slots per "color" (1 per color if you separate sorcery and instant) for shoring up weaknesses; adding spells or creatures; etc. That would also solve the "creature short" issue.
Alternately:

2x creature = 14
2x spell (instant/sorcery) = 14
2x enchantment/artifact = 14
1x planeswalker = 7

Also gives 2 sots per "color" for customization while

3x creature = 21
3x spell (instant/sorcery) = 21
2x enchantment/artifact = 14
1x planeswalker = 7

fills up all of the slots, though you can still eek out more creatures with enchantment creatures (in an enchantment slot), artifact creatures and token making spells.

Good luck to you, keep us informed...

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-28 6:13 am 

With how works, I think it'll change the version of value from the single card itself to synergistic effects (maybe that's just my interpretation). Hybrid cards and gold cards that add counters seem to be beneficial ().

I'd look at cubes to see how they picked because TBH those are usually stairwelled by CMC and color. If you give a small value benefit for synergy I think you'd have a great deck.

I would cap it at 7+ vs. 9+ because mana will be an issue. Also I'd bump the lands to 40 instead of 35 unless you curve it to be 2, 3, and 4 CMC centric.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-20 11:36 am 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 12:14 am 

I started to put it together right before I moved. Sadly, I don't have a playgroup at the moment. I haven't played magic since last Oct. I'm hoping to be able to be mobile enough to start playing regularly soon. The closest shop does FNM Commander though so I suspect it won't be friendly towards goofy decks like this. I still really want to put it together. I saw that new 5c Captain Sisay and it got me wondering if I could do an all Legendary stairwell with her. I doubt it but it definitely brought my thinking back to this.

Offline Profile