Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 11:23 pm

Post subject: Comitee, PLEASE ask Wizards for Inspiring Commander! :D
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:03 am 

Hello guys!

I don't know if you have been playing Magic the Gathering: Arena, but there's this AMAZING card called Inspiring Commander there (https://scryfall.com/card/ana/5/inspiring-commander). Wouldn't be AWESOME if the Comitee asked the WotC staff to bring this nice guy to Commander 2019 or 2020?

Inspiring Commander
4WW
Rare
Whenever another creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life and draw a card.
1/4

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Comitee, PLEASE ask Wizards for Inspiring Commander! :D
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:13 am 

A six drop Mentor of the Meek? I guess.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:27 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
A six drop Mentor of the Meek? I guess.

White needs ways to generate CA THAT badly.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:30 am 

It's also a Mentor of the Meek with zero mana requirements, which is easily worth the extra cost in my book.

Or another way to look at it: it's a Soul of the Harvest that works with tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:36 am 

I'd whirlwind slam Inspiring Commander into any white deck.

That one would become such a white staple I'd rather see it in an expansion product where we'll see higher production numbers of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:37 am 

It's also mandatory -- so something that generates a bunch of tokens *could* deck you with that out :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:41 am 

Carthain wrote:
It's also mandatory -- so something that generates a bunch of tokens *could* deck you with that out :)

So what you're saying is that it's an auto-include in Zedruu?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:47 am 

Just imagine it with Hero of Bladehold, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Hanweir Garrison!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-09 4:58 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, seems undercosted for what it does. Would also super windmill slam it into all white decks

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-09 6:23 am 

MaRo has gone on record (as much as Tumblr is "on record") saying Inspiring Commander is a colour pie break and will not see paper, ever.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-23 1:44 am 

Unfortunately I've seen it. They seem to even think that Mentor of the Meek and Dawn of Hope might have been mistakes... I really don't understand their fear of giving White any means of drawing cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-23 2:56 am 

petruscaex wrote:
Unfortunately I've seen it. They seem to even think that Mentor of the Meek and Dawn of Hope might have been mistakes... I really don't understand their fear of giving White any means of drawing cards.

Because White has answers to everything and lots of cards that change the rules (like Grasp of Fate, Authority of the Consuls or Mystic Barrier). If they had card draw (without having to play another color) then they could access these cards a lot faster. They already have some of the best cards, so making sure that they can play them more consistently isn't in anybody's best interest. It is widely believed that Sultai (G/B/U) is the best color combo in EDH, but if White got better card draw then why would you play 3 colors? If Green got more creature removal why ... wait Green is constantly getting better Fight cards ... nevermind.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-23 10:20 am 

"Breaking the color pie" is a garbage excuse. If Wizards was concerned in any way about the color pie, True-Name would have been white and Snapcaster Mage would have been red. Don't even get me started on Delver of Secrets.

By the time Inspiring Commander would land in a mono-white EDH deck, they should definitely be allowed to do dumb things like draw a bunch of cards off of tokens. Think about six drops in all the other colors and how much they impact the board. Consecrated Sphinx, Doubling Season, Dark Mike...the list is waaaay longer than that, obviously but those were first to pop into my head. Giving white a six mana creature that eats every removal spell in the game and only has four toughness wouldn't be hurting anyone.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile