Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-24 5:54 pm

Post subject: Your Input
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-10 5:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I posted this on a few of the FB groups, so it made sense to post it here:

I trust that most of you know I write a weekly column on Commander over at Star City Games.com Since this format is as much about community, I'd like to hear what kinds of written content you as the community prefer to read--not just the type and style of articles you like, but what drives you to particular content. The time you have for reading Commander articles is limited, and we'd like to make the best use of that time. I'm curious not just what gets you to a site or author, but what keeps you coming back there/to them (other than the obvious "needs to be at least somewhat coherently written").

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Your Input
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-10 8:12 am 

So I think I am going to do kind of a list:
- Past interesting articles
- Not just reading the cards back to me (you can paraphrase or explain tricky working, that is fine)
- unique take on a popular thing
- not a popular opinion, saying card X is powerful isn't interesting, saying card Y does a similar thing but you get another benefit or maybe it was printed 15 years ago and so not a lot remember (think [card]Equal Treatment[/card)]. That isn't to say you have to disagree with everybody, but it is okay and more interesting to have an opinion that people don't necessarily argree with along with why you don't agree.
- interesting anecdotes or play-by-plays that make you feel like you were there (videos are great for this, even if they are less "information dense" then the written word)

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2019-Feb-10 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-10 12:20 pm 

I'm more interested in articles that deal with the nuts and bolts of the format. That means talking about the history of it, digging into the philosophy that drives you in managing it, getting to know the members of the RC (and now CAG) and what they want out of the format, etc. Other People's Decks loosely ties into this. The deck tech articles and deck upgrade articles that accompany each new release don't interest me as much because I like to explore a new set rather than be told what to look for or how to build. I get why you dothem, but they're the articles I tend to gloss over and just skim.,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-10 5:36 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
The time you have for reading Commander articles is limited, and we'd like to make the best use of that time.

That is a bold assumption. I read a lot.

What I like is a broad question and also tough to answer. Writers must me different from other writers by having original ideas or style. I like articles that describe the process of getting there. I don't want to read an article about how someone puts Eternal Witness in a deck. Don't post a decklist 90% equal to every decklist with the same general. Don't do boring set reviews: everybody does set reviews, I doubt they all quit after reading this comment and one set review is enough. But please write about your pet deck. Write about updating your pet deck. Write about playing your pet deck. Write about how you are excited for that one freshly spoiled card that will supercharge your pet deck, and rage about it when it turns out the spoiler was poorly translated. Interact with your public. Share personal stuff, be human.

OTOH, having a bot write EDH content might be funny for a while.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-11 6:14 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
...what drives you to particular content...

Novelty.

I been playing Commander for 10 years at this point, and Magic in general for 16 years. At this point, the content I most want to see is something that will surprise me. Anyone who can find a real hidden gem, or give an old trick new life with some new card synergy is someone who I'll keep reading.

This might be tough for your column, 'cause you've been writing for so long that we mostly know what new cards are going to catch your eye. Maybe more other people's decks, more shout-outs to other writers (ie, "I saw a really cool deck from Bob, and I thought I'd put my own spin on it"), more words on cool plays that other people pulled off against you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-11 11:47 pm 

In your specific case, Sheldon, I'd really like to see more articles about your decks that aren't your signature 5-6 or so. It's not a problem to have darlings, of course, but you spent so long on the original Chromatic Project and we don't really get to hear about those decks very much outside of your updates to your decks every set (which I really enjoy reading as well).

I guess what I'm saying is that what I enjoy about your column is seeing the sheer number and variety of decks you have, something that can't really be matched by other writers with fewer resources. Essentially, I'm interested in anything which spotlights as many of those decks as possible.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 1:57 am 

I really like your interviews with various Commanders.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 2:09 am 

Swmystery wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is that what I enjoy about your column is seeing the sheer number and variety of decks you have, something that can't really be matched by other writers with fewer resources. Essentially, I'm interested in anything which spotlights as many of those decks as possible.

That's an interesting thought to me, since I feel like I see a lot of hate online for people who strive to build a deck of every color combination. It's likely just due to my own experience, since there plenty of Commander-related sites and such I'm not a part of.

Lately I haven't been reading articles as much and have spent more time watching Commander Vs guys or Brian Weissman doing 1v1 Commander matches, but reading more about somebody else's chromatic journey would be fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 4:20 am 
EDH Rules Committee

scatteredsun wrote:

I love those, too. Who would you like to see interviewed?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 4:39 am 

Sheldon wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

I think Teysa, Ajani or Takeno would be interesting... none of them have been major plot movers (like Jace or Nicol Bolas) but they likely have interesting stories to tell. Because of course, these interviews are canon, right?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 1:14 pm 

I personally enjoy the set reviews, and was super fascinated by the rotisserie draft your group did. Something that might be cool next time would be a way to watch the draft. Or to see it unfold on a google spreadsheet?

Another thing I would really like to read is CAG's thoughts on each of the banlist cards.

Maybe even taking the CAG and having them do a no-banlist game and then report their experience / findings.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-13 12:57 am 

What I would like to read about is how you go about deciding what cards to cut for new/better/more synergistic cards. I often find cards that I think will work great in a deck, but then when I look at what to replace I have a very difficult time figuring out what to take out. How to make the hard cuts, ways to go about it, etc... Something more in depth than just the basics: "lowers the mana curve" and the like. Something that would include examples and the why it is such a struggle.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 8:24 am 

Sheldon wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

Hmmm...I've been out of the loop for the last two or three sets but I see Jaya has an actual planeswalker card now "You've come a long ways baby..."

Would it be too meta to do an interview with one of the older guild members and their newest incarnation?

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 8:30 am 

I also like "Deck Doctor" articles. Taking someone's deck and spicing it up. Looking at some fun old card interactions and finding some new synergies.

In the case of Commander decks, this could also include taming some decks. Making them more fun to play/play against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 9:52 am 

I know that the SCG thing is YOUR article, but I really enjoyed when Toby covered for you and did the mailbag article. I'd love to see some more articles like that which involve the other members, even if it was just a deck spotlight.

Offline Profile