Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 2:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question of the Week
AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 3:01 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I mean whatever questions you have regarding what might happen with PWs in light of War of the Spark, especially since they've previewed 36 pieces of art (which they're not using on cards). The limit is only the creativity of your questions.

My health is okay for the moment (on a one-in-a-row streak of clean scans). My schedule will be clearing up by the end of April when I graduate. I plan on going to any event SCG has the rest of the year and Scott and I are working on a plan to go to GenCon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 5:29 am 

I'll throw you an easy one first off...

Are there any planeswalkers that you saw and were immediately like, man I wish I could make that my general. If so, who was it and what direction would you have taken the deck?

(Edit: I just mean in general, not of the stained glass art teasers)

Last edited by cryogen on 2019-Mar-10 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 10:49 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Since we have a few days until next week's deadline, I'd like to ask those of you who read and post in this particular thread (Shabbaman, Cryo, Tremayne, etc.) to come up with a question or series of questions regarding the 36 PWs in War of the Spark. I'd like it to be a little deeper than "Will all PWs be commanders now?" Take a few days, brainstorm among yourselves, and see what you come up with. Appropriate credit will be given. Feel free to post drafts and then a final question here.

This may or may not have been something you've ever thought about, but in your estimation how has the power level of the various planeswalkers over the years been? Do you have a stable of "go-to" planeswalkers that you like to put in decks of their particular colours? I'm thinking things like Garruk Wildspeaker or Garruk, Primal Hunter for Green, Tezzeret the Seeker for Blue and the like - planeswalkers that enhance what you'd be typically doing in those colours anyway.

On the other end of the scale are the weirdly specific or niche planeswalkers like Nissa Revane, Vraska the Unseen, or Tibalt.

In your opinion, if you were grading Wizards on their creation of planeswalkers so far, what grade would you give them and why?

Do you put planeswalkers in most of your decks? If so, why? If not, why not? Do you look for planeswalkers that enhance the deck's themes, or (given most planeswalkers utility), do you put them in as a kind of catch-all backup for the other "utlity" slots in your decks?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 12:22 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
Since we have a few days until next week's deadline, I'd like to ask those of you who read and post in this particular thread (Shabbaman, Cryo, Treamayne, etc.) to come up with a question or series of questions regarding the 36 PWs in War of the Spark. I'd like it to be a little deeper than "Will all PWs be commanders now?" Take a few days, brainstorm among yourselves, and see what you come up with. Appropriate credit will be given. Feel free to post drafts and then a final question here.

First Thoughts:

- Are there any Planeswalkers (PW) you find to be conspicuous in their absence amongst the 36?
-- If yes, who would you replace to have included the missing PW?

- How do you feel about the "stained glass" artwork?
-- Which is your favorite and least-favorite amongst them?
-- Knowing that it is not used on the cards, does that affect your opinion of the "stained glass" art?*

- Do you, or have you ever piloted a super-friends deck?
-- How do you feel having 36 PWs in one set will influence the super-friends "theme" in EDH (popularity, enmity, color options, etc.)?
-- If yes, do you foresee that influence to be positive, negative, or neutral?
-- Do you feel the *relatively* recent PW "push" (adding exclusive to each set's Pre-con, adding characters from other sources, now having so many PW in a single set) has had a positive, negative or net neutral impact on the card type and its influence in EDH?

- As War of the Spark is the "culmination" of the "Bolas" storyline, how do you feel about the use of meta-stories in MtG set design?
-- Has this "Bolas" storyline (outside of card quality and power - cause "creep" happens) been handled better or worse than the "Weatherlight"/"Phyrexian War" multi-block meta-story?**
-- What impact do you feel having the Meta-story span multiple planes has on the way players receive that story and the sets it involves?

I'll keep thinking and edit if I come up with more...

*Note: For example, I thought the art was fairly cool, expecting it would be used on "Expedition-style" cards for the set. Then I realized I didn't care at all about them because they aren't going to be on cards.
**Note: For example, I am thoroughly sick of it. I really wish they had interspersed non-related sets - the way "Bolas" started in Conflux, then we had other stuff before coming back to him.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2019-Mar-10 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 1:27 pm 

Hi all! New guy here!

Kinda an silly question given the original design of the format, but how might you propose shortening game lengths? Decreasing health pool? Playing with a smaller deck size? Lowering commander damage threshold?

We have a regular group, but with kids and life changes it’s gotten harder to play for an hour or more without interruptions so trying to think of a way to shorten the game lengths and then maybe play several rounds and people can scoop and jump back in on the next one, etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 2:35 pm 

BlackPrism wrote:
Hi all! New guy here!

Kinda an silly question given the original design of the format, but how might you propose shortening game lengths? Decreasing health pool? Playing with a smaller deck size? Lowering commander damage threshold?

We have a regular group, but with kids and life changes it’s gotten harder to play for an hour or more without interruptions so trying to think of a way to shorten the game lengths and then maybe play several rounds and people can scoop and jump back in on the next one, etc.

Dropping starting life seems like an obvious choice here. I'd recommend trying 30 and see how it goes.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 11:02 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
BlackPrism wrote:
Hi all! New guy here!

Dropping starting life seems like an obvious choice here. I'd recommend trying 30 and see how it goes.

Thanks for the recommendation! As a follow up, any thoughts on how to then make sure that the more hyper aggro decks like Edgar Markov’s don’t become too dominant due to the decreased life total? Or just a meta-change we’ll have to adjust to?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 11:54 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
-- Do you feel having 36 PWs in one set may influence the super-friends "theme" in EDH?

This seems like a rethorical question. A larger card pool surely influences options. Whether or not that is a positive or a negative influence is too early to tell: decks like Atraxa could pick up the strongest new walkers, but OTOH a standard filled with walkers could make players include more PW hate. Or maybe this set (or the next one, people need time to play with their new toys) gives us a lot of new PW hate. I feel all these options will happen, although really strong PW hate in large numbers could invalidate the superfriends archetype. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Sheldon wrote:
My health is okay for the moment (on a one-in-a-row streak of clean scans). My schedule will be clearing up by the end of April when I graduate.

I'm happy to hear that you are on a healthy streak again. I feel it is quite an accomplishment that you (close to) finished your study in your situation. Congratulations!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-10 2:41 am 

BlackPrism wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation! As a follow up, any thoughts on how to then make sure that the more hyper aggro decks like Edgar Markov’s don’t become too dominant due to the decreased life total? Or just a meta-change we’ll have to adjust to?

I think that's just a meta change you'd have to adjust to. Aggro has always been a little weaker in EDH because of the high life totals and the typical game being 3-5 players. Less life means those strategies become a little more viable, but I'm guessing they won't suddenly win every game either.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-10 3:45 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
-- Do you feel having 36 PWs in one set may influence the super-friends "theme" in EDH?

This seems like a rethorical question.

Edited to clarify what I was asking. More options is obvious, I was more concerned with how Sheldon thinks it will affect popularity of the archetype, how that impacts EDH meta, backlash ("I'm so sick of playing against super-friends" type feedback) and other impacts he may perceive as a result of such a "dump" of PWs.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-10 6:10 am 

I see where you are going. Best stock up on Aether Snap now, right? Hopefully Wizards doesn't print dumb stuff that goes ultimate immediately with Doubling Season.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-10 7:40 am 

MaRo has confirmed multiple times over the last few days that all 36 of the Planeswalkers are new cards :shock:

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-11 2:08 am 

How do you feel about the level of interaction we have with planeswalkers? Is there any unused or underused design space you would like to see explored, such as adding/removing counters, preventing/doubling activations, interacting with emblems, or straight removal?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-18 10:13 am 
EDH Rules Committee

cryogen wrote:
How do you feel about the level of interaction we have with planeswalkers? Is there any unused or underused design space you would like to see explored, such as adding/removing counters, preventing/doubling activations, interacting with emblems, or straight removal?

Answering this this week, although it feels like I could do a full article on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-27 8:23 am 

Only tangentially related to Magic...

You spent the better part of your active duty Air Force career working your way up the ranks of the judging program to become a top level judge and senior nonmissioned officer. So for any active duty service members who are trying to balance their military career with Magic (or any other sort of enrichment), what advice can you offer to them?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next