Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 9:32 pm

Post subject: Re: London Mulligan
AgePosted: 2019-Mar-06 3:09 pm 

this mulligan makes me want to build 98 forest + lost in the woods Omnath, Locus of Mana

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-13 12:55 pm 

trappedslider wrote:
this mulligan makes me want to build 98 forest + lost in the woods Omnath, Locus of Mana

Did this with my Sasaya deck, of course I had one or two other threats like an Eldrazi to reshuffle, lol.
Overall really looking forward to this for Standard. I can't begin to state my frustration at playing Ranked on Arena and having hands that would be great, but have only one land...fiddlesticks!

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-13 12:58 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Is london mull becoming the new standard for sanctioned play?

No, they're just experimenting with it in one tournament at this point. It might become a standard or might not.

I like the sound of it. Kind of hoping they do make it a thing. I play a lot of limited, and it's often the kiss of death if you have to mull, especially if you have to do it more than once. This seems like it could make your 5 and less card hands a lot more viable.

Well, PVdlR (?) had a huge article on its possible impact on Modern and Standard and so on, so I am expecting it to be a real thing in sanctioned play soon, maybe as soon as War of the Spark. He might just have been talking about Modern though, but yeah. It's on ChannelFireball.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-30 10:12 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Frankly, for Commander, free mulligans (as many as are needed, which rarely ever exceeds 2) are fine as long as a player isn't fishing for a godhand.

That's how I used to feel, then I realized my casual-play commander-only friends don't have a strong sense of "god hand" vs "okay" when they want to win. A prime example; my friend says "I'm gonna mull until I have a 7 with at least 1 land and two spells I can cast". They're playing an artifact synergy deck with 20 lands and the full suite of 1 and 0 cost mana rocks.

He didn't do it consciously, but he tested his deck with unlimited 7's so he naturally tuned it for Boom/Bust because a mediocre hand worsened his position but he was NEVER harmed when he drew an unplayable one.

We all know how much it sucks to mull to 4, but this will make those hands a loooot more functional while still having deck-construction consequences.

cryogen wrote:
It isn't the overt abuse that I am worried about, more the subtle subconscious abuse, such as being more willing to mulligan since you get to see more cards, and how that could affect the early game.

They still lose card advantage for mulliganing, they just don't have to hope quite as desperately for topdecks. It's functionally similar to getting a scry X instead of only scry 1, though without as high a chance of manascrew.

Offline Profile