Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 12:47 pm

Post subject: Clarification on Feather
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 8:00 am 

So Feather the Redeemed says: Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that targets a creature you control, exile that card instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves. If you do, return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.

If I play Seize the Day for its flashback cost targeting Feather, Seize the Day returns to my hand, correct?
Same for Onward // Victory, playing Victory for its aftermath cost?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Clarification on Feather
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 8:24 am 

I believe if two things are trying to do something to your card, you pick which order they go on the stack... effectively choosing which one happens. So yeah, Feather is really good with Flashback.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 8:42 am 

Feather's ability and the second half of the Flashback ability are replacement effects. You get to choose which replacement effect applies since they are both trying to modify the same event.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 10:45 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Previous answers are correct, and here's Eli Shiffrin's verification: https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1115335850961694720

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-16 3:34 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I believe if two things are trying to do something to your card, you pick which order they go on the stack

First, these are replacement effects, so they won't be on the stack.

Otherwise, usually you are correct that you get to choose the order of replacements. Be careful though, as I believe anything that has a Self-replacement effect will always take effect first over another replacement effect trying to replace the same event.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-16 9:58 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Carthain wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
I believe if two things are trying to do something to your card, you pick which order they go on the stack

First, these are replacement effects, so they won't be on the stack.

Otherwise, usually you are correct that you get to choose the order of replacements. Be careful though, as I believe anything that has a Self-replacement effect will always take effect first over another replacement effect trying to replace the same event.

Also correct. Self-replacements first.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 10:55 pm 

The same applies for Dreadhorde Arcanist and other cards that allow you to play instants/sorceries from your graveyard and exile them instead of putting them into the graveyard as they resolve. If they target a creature you control while Feather is on the battlefield, they'll come back to your hand at the beggining of the next end step :)

Offline Profile