[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Bolas's Citadel is more broken than yawg's bargain.

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 8:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bolas's Citadel is more broken than yawg's bargain.
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 5:29 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-15 6:11 am 

Gray Ogre? I think you'll find that's just an OP , and needs to go.

Of course, with the Great Island Banning of 2021, Magic became a much friendlier game

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-02 1:40 pm 

Got my first experience running the Citadel this week, and boy oh boy is it Paradox Engine-level busted, especially with Insidious Dreams. I put it in my Edgar Markov deck. I cast Insidious Dreams on opponent's T3 end step, putting Citadel on top of my library with Viscera Seer directly under it. T4 I Culling The Weak into Citadel, then with Viscera Seer to scry my lands away I proceed to vomit my whole deck onto the battlefield and wipe the table with Purphoros. Do I think it should be banned? No. Does it warrant careful monitoring? I think so.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-02 2:04 pm 

In the interests of fair reporting, can you recall a time where you've drawn it (I realise this may well be the only time so far!) and it hasn't been as good?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 5:19 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 8:35 am 

Because lifegain in black is trivial.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 9:25 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 9:25 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 9:44 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 2:27 pm 

I saw my citadel tonight.

I played a land off of it, then a Barter in Blood, then it was put onto the bottom of my deck (courtesy of .) Next card after was another land, and I was stopped for the turn anyways.

This is just in a Bolas themed deck -- nothing to specifically use/abuse it. And I only have a few ways within the deck to gain life anyways.

From that experience, I can say it's strong and has potential to be stronger -- but all depends on how people use it. If you have cards in your deck to combo with it, sure it'll combo off well (and probably suck for others). If you just use it for some converting of life to cards for a bit -- Necro is stronger IMO.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-03 5:00 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 1:47 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 12:15 pm 

In general, I agree with Viperion that a deck *can* be built to abuse the Citadel, but it would be a one-trick pony. I can see someone building a blue/black deck with cantrips and tutors to grab and storm cards FTW; but at least in my play group, they'd get it off once and then abused forever after if they tried to do it again.

I think what specter404 said about it becoming ubiquitous has more merit, as it is just too good not to use in base black decks...but then, so are *many* cards used in current mono-black decks.

It is something to be watched for sure, but let's see how things develop with it first. My take anyway.

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 2:51 am 

I got to see this thing in two games over the weekend. In one, I hit two lands and bricked three turns in a row, and in the other, I had a tutor for Top and used it to dig for Ral + Chain of Smog. In both cases, it didn't stick out to me as something to be alarmed about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 4:10 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next