Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-23 4:29 pm

Post subject: Re: Challenge: Break This Rule
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 3:19 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
It is already, see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19061 along with:

I'm fairly certain you're joking here, but in the interests of preventing confusion (as this has already come up in the rules discussion forum), the **unbanned** on that list refers only to Protean Hulk. The cards below the word unbanned are, in fact, still banned.

On a related note, the RC (or their web person) should really get on fixing that.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 4:32 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
It is already, see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19061 along with:

I'm fairly certain you're joking here, but in the interests of preventing confusion (as this has already come up in the rules discussion forum), the **unbanned** on that list refers only to Protean Hulk. The cards below the word unbanned are, in fact, still banned.

On a related note, the RC (or their web person) should really get on fixing that.

I think that was the joke.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 9:27 am 

cryogen wrote:
I think that was the joke.

I know. I'm just concerned that someone might not detect the joke and take it as true. Someone has literally already started a thread in Rules Discussion to ask if those cards are unbanned. Some people might not take the time to ask.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 9:13 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Even once per game is obviously abusable. Again, the RC is not considering anything like this, it was just a thought exercise. I really wanted to see how people would break it.

Ah, but breaking it is only one half of the fun, the other half is trying to fix it!

Breaking the rule as written is fairly easy and simply means you play a lot more artifact mana and a lot fewer lands in your deck. Plus combo's already mentioned.

Fixing the rule, that's where it gets interesting. Limiting the use somehow seems to be the way to do it. I like the search in upkeep to the top and draw as normal. With a bit of playtesting you could find the right number of uses that encourages reasonable gameplay use and minimize abuse but my inclination is to hard limit the use to twice.

Alternative cost being that each player start with an emblem which reads:
"Shuffle a card from your hand into your library: Put a terramorfic expanse token into play. Put a depletion counter on emblem. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only if you control less lands than an opponent. If emblem has 2 or more depletion counters on it, exile emblem"

I'm being lazy with the wording, but you can see how it would function.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 12:08 pm 

You can't exile emblems (they're not on the battlefield) but since tinkering with rules text is fun for me (I'm weird that way) here's how it would have to be templated:

Quote:
Rule 9xx.xx: At the beginning of the game each player gets an emblem that reads: "Choose a card in your hand and shuffle it into your library: Put a land token named Terramorphic Expanse onto the battlefield with the text "<t>, Sacrifice Terramorphic Expanse: Search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library." Put a depletion counter on this emblem. Activate this ability only whenever you could cast a sorcery, and only if you have less lands than an opponent, and only if there are 1 or less depletion counters on this emblem."

As you can see it's.... messy :P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 12:18 pm 

Why can't you exile emblems?

You can exile cards from hand, library, stack, and graveyard, what makes the command zone different?

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 12:24 pm 

specter404 wrote:

You can exile cards from hand, library, stack, and graveyard, what makes the command zone different?

That's a good point. Maybe you can, and they just haven't so far

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 12:42 pm 

You are right though, it' still too wordy.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 1:01 pm 

Viperion wrote:
specter404 wrote:

That's a good point. Maybe you can, and they just haven't so far

Or another way to put it: you can't exile emblems for the same reason you can't run 5 enchantments of the same name in a deck, or why you can't claim having 20 cards in hand as a win condition.

There's nothing in the comp rules that absolutely guarantees you can't, but there are no existent cards that allow you to.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-11 6:25 am 

Sheldon wrote:
As always, I'm compelled to say that what follows is by no means anything that the RC is considering or has discussed. It's a clever idea I gleaned from a Twitter follower and would like to see how smart people like yourselves would punch holes in it:

"During a player's draw step, if that player controls fewer lands than any other player, they may pay two life to search their library for a basic land card and put it into their hand instead of drawing their card for the turn."

That wording is off the top of my head, but you get the idea--it's to replace your normal card draw (and only that one) with paying two life and get a basic instead. How could this be abused?

Sweet, so I can just Zuran Orb all my stuff, get a land into my hand, then cast Land Equilbrium or Balancing Act off my mana rocks.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-11 7:33 am 

CrazyPierre wrote:
Sweet, so I can just Zuran Orb all my stuff, get a land into my hand, then cast Land Equilbrium or Balancing Act off my mana rocks.

You can do that anyway, you don't need this rule to help you out

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 5:43 am 

Are you all guys missing Elfhame Sanctuary, or I just didn't read it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 9:26 am 

Chiky wrote:
Are you all guys missing Elfhame Sanctuary, or I just didn't read it?

I didn't know about that, but at least it's probably not super breakable..?

At least that doesn't let me get away with playing a 10-land deck, on account of having to actually draw/tutor it and play it before I can start using its effect. Or get away with a 3-land red deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-11 9:02 pm 

So I think it’s silly as a rule to do this. You can instead opt for better mualgan methods in your particular play setting to fit the needs of the group instead of opening a can of worms. On the other hand I think a lower cmc card for red or black would be awesome with this effect. It would have lose life or deal damage depending on the color and it would be between 2-4 cmc. 3 being reasonable...

Our group prefers to just reveal hand leave it set aside and drawl until someone hits three lands then they can take their free mulligan and after they are finished they shuffle the entire line up of cards back. This allows people to kinda see what you are playing and it keeps combo shenanigans from trying to abuse the mullagan because many of the cards they put away are set aside and can’t be reached until the game starts.

One could abuse this and try to char bleach the board, but that would be more of a waste of time and effort on their part then an actual issue.

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-14 7:31 pm 

Thraximundar wrote:
So I think it’s silly as a rule to do this. You can instead opt for better mualgan methods in your particular play setting to fit the needs of the group instead of opening a can of worms. On the other hand I think a lower cmc card for red or black would be awesome with this effect. It would have lose life or deal damage depending on the color and it would be between 2-4 cmc. 3 being reasonable...

Our group prefers to just reveal hand leave it set aside and drawl until someone hits three lands then they can take their free mulligan and after they are finished they shuffle the entire line up of cards back. This allows people to kinda see what you are playing and it keeps combo shenanigans from trying to abuse the mullagan because many of the cards they put away are set aside and can’t be reached until the game starts.

One could abuse this and try to char bleach the board, but that would be more of a waste of time and effort on their part then an actual issue.

I like to run something similar. We do partial mulligans. You reveal your hand and keep any and all land then draw back up to 7. Next time you draw up to 6, etc. Then once that's all done you'll shuffle the excess cards back into your library.

I enjoy it because sometimes you simply can't hit land and as long as you have land at least maybe you can do something down the line.

Also, as you said, keeps people from cherry picking combo pieces.

Offline Profile