[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - When are Commanders Revealed?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 5:24 am

Post subject: Re: When are Commanders Revealed?
AgePosted: 2019-May-11 6:46 pm 

Cull the weak and death to suspicion play. If someone is trying to hide their commander/general it’s most likely because they don’t want to be targeted. If you are coming into the game with that in mind then your playgroup or people you’ve played with have made you jaded about the game.

I love animar decks that play morph or Zur astral slide, but if someone brings a cEDH deck of the same verity it’s best to just let them eject themselves from the game once they play their infinite combo. I don’t think people play any hate for specific colors save for pyroblast on a rare occasion.

It would be nice if someone could sit down and not be targeted with the extra baggage they have with the commander they play, but that depends on how your opponents want to play the game.

I think most of the issue of who reveals what comes from that. I don’t suspect someone playing general color hate as much as red flags going up when someone plays mono white Avcyn and tries to throw down an oppoents only Armageddon :shock:

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-12 10:57 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-12 6:41 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 1:29 am 

That sounds like you have a complex situation and a judgement call to make. That's not on the RC, that's on you. The RC isn't there to police how you interact with each other, we're all adults here for the most part and the onus is on us to interact with people.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 2:19 am 

I think there are these scenarios.

1. Organized event: In an organized event the owner should give the rules for it

2. Casual play with strangers: in this case I think you and your playmates should agree beforehand how you will choose the commanders, because If you choose X then I can chopse Y to counter, and it is not fair for the people going first pcik, so maybe everyone should revel the commander at once.

3. Casual play with friends: in this case people normally talk about the commander he/she wants to play so we all know beforehand, and we should because maybe I dont want to play a control deck if there are 2 more people playing control (just to not have a 4hr long game), etc.

For scenario #1 call the judge, for #2 and #3, just talk to people beforehand

The current updated decklist is here
The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 3:41 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 5:40 am 

Sid the Chicken

I agree with just about everything you said except the whole bit about how you should not play with miserable people.

I’ve found the best way to interact with people and their play styles is just to change your deck slightly to beat them when you see them. IE playing bolgardan hellkite when Armageddon is on the stack and removing the creature they tried to set up and king making yourself all in one go with that play.

Or design you deck to take the punishment and overcome the adversity that can be part of the field of play. Life from the loam is a great example of a playable main deck card that outta be a staple in most green splash decks.

Allowing them to eject themselves might bring harm to your game but it’s better then trying to not let them play at all and if they have any understanding of what’s going on with the social contract. They will eventually bring a deck that doesn’t go infinite or doesn’t make people scoop up the game by turn 4.

Allowing them to make the choice and watch others have fun afterwards allows them to make a choice to continue playing the way they choose to. It discourages them to play those effects if they actual want to enjoy the game because they have to wait until the game finishes at its own pace.

Therefore it’s on them to change their play if they wish. It’s a much better solution then just avoiding them all together and usually the more competive the less the affect a longer game overall. Long being turns 9-14 winning the game instead of 4-8.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 8:17 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 2:36 pm 

When referring to life from the loam I was talking about it in the context of mass LD. As for how the people in your area and card shops interact with the game. Well that’s how they might interact but usually it only takes one time for someone at my three local shops here in Tampa, Florida to stop doing that. The whole point of cEDH is to shuffle and play more games then edh and play at legacy level. If you get rid of having fast games they can’t or won’t play with you. Also you could just play more low cost removal spells/abilities in your deck and just target them with table if they are that obnoxious. Which is what you make it sound like. Most of the cEDH players ask the powerful leve of the table before they play and they usually have non competive decks.

You are right that it can turn into an arms race, but good low cmc removal isn’t an arms race issue as much as trying to go infinite to win. Cards like possibility storm and perpelxing chimera can beat cEDH list in my local shops all the time when they don’t go off on turn 4. Stony silence and null rod bully their decks and a well placed silent gravestone/ relic of progenisis can end their grave interaction. These cards are also decent for casual play so it hardly changes your meta into cEDH by playing good answers.

I don’t like cEDH but my list runs as close to it without actually becoming an infinite combo/lockout list. I like to play the game and interact with the players at a much slower level then cEDH. It’s vary sad to hear someone getting shafted by a handful of players that don’t understand the difference between the two formats.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-14 9:22 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-15 5:03 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-15 2:19 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 10:12 am 

I prefer to reveal my commander before the game begins. Most people that I've played with are the same way. So far, all of the people that I've met who don't want to tell people what they're playing have been disruptive and unsportsmanlike players who seem to want to eke out advantages by counterpicking or playing high-tier decks against more casual tables. I'm not saying that this is the rule for every player who does this, but there hasn't been an exception in my personal experience.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:49 pm 

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile