All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-21 1:19 pm

Post subject: Modern Horizons Spoiler - New Universal Tribal Commander
AgePosted: 2019-May-20 4:56 am 

Definitely looks interesting

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Modern Horizons Spoiler - New Universal Tribal Commander
AgePosted: 2019-May-20 6:02 am 

It is actually interesting, a lord that also cheat some colored mana cost , so a Vampire for 1BW will cost 1, some others zero.

To high cmc for my decks but other tribals (such as dragons) should be an auto include

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 6:10 am 

Free Nephilim!

Saskia, K&T of Meletis, Breya are all free humans, heh.

Unironically, best Werewolf Commander?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 8:10 am 

If you have Jodah, Archmage Eternal or Fist of Suns out beside Morophon, all your spells of the creature type you chose are free. Fun!

Also Scryfall's page for Morophon maintains a search query of all the spells you can cast for free with Morophon's ability out.

Horde of Notions will be free to cast as well, but its ability won't be free to activate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 8:13 am 

I never played modern, so can any modern guru suggest what modern deck this is supposed to enable? Or is it just a nod to us edh fans

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 8:28 am 

There's a lot of stuff in Modern Horizons aimed squarely at Commander players, since they don't have to worry about standard-legal concerns

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 8:35 am 

If I were a modern players I would be pretty annoyed with this, as it is pushing up the price of the modern playable cards in the set.

As a commander players I'm stoked, I already have a reaper king deck so easy slot into that.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 10:17 am 

specter404 wrote:
If I were a modern players I would be pretty annoyed with this, as it is pushing up the price of the modern playable cards in the set.

More printings of playable cards = higher cost? I is confuzzled.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 10:19 am 

I assume specter is talking about the new cards not the reprints.

I'm not personally bothered onnacounta not playing Modern, but it's already a pretty expensive format, so... more expensive cards probably won't make that much difference?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 4:01 pm 

Im not an economist, so I might be completely wrong, but if only half the rares are worth opening, then there will be a significant disparity between the bulk and the gold. I think you want the EV spread evenly so that all the rares are moderately prices, and the value of opening a booster is less of a lottery.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 4:25 pm 

I think you might be underestimating the effect Commander players have on prices (see for reference: Doubliing Season ;) )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 1:21 am 

See also for reference: Wall of Kelp once we learned of the existence of Arcades, the Strategist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 3:32 am 

specter404 wrote:
Im not an economist, so I might be completely wrong, but if only half the rares are worth opening, then there will be a significant disparity between the bulk and the gold. I think you want the EV spread evenly so that all the rares are moderately prices, and the value of opening a booster is less of a lottery.

Maro has mentioned this problem multiple times, the incredibly short answer being "You're right that it's a problem, but compared to the problems created by fixing it, it is far and away the lesser evil".

But also, what everyone else said about commander's effect on pricing. Just take a look at all of the expensive popular cards on EDHREC. Many of them are cards like Massacre Wurm that only see play in commander, and among those a lot of them used to be bulk rares. Just today I found out that Training Grounds and Copy Enchantment both have a price tag on them, two cards I got for less than a buck each.

Printing Commander bombs makes the set worth far more money in the long run, not less.

Offline Profile