Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 10:30 am

Post subject: This forum needs a massive update
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 1:55 am 

Seriously, it's like taking a time machine back to 2002. With how big the community for EDH is the main forum for the format should be on par with modern standards. It's very off putting for newer players and not very user friendly, especially for people who can't pick up on the syntax right away. I'm sure a lot of veterans on here like the nostalgic feel and all but it's time to update things a bit.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: This forum needs a massive update
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 4:03 am 

If you would like a change to happen, the best way to do it is to be specific. What specifically about the forum is "not on par with modern standards"? What "isn't user friendly"? What types of "updates" do you recommend?

Specifics are particularly important for when you're trying to talk to people who disagree with your conclusions. For example, I personally disagree with the claim that the forum isn't user friendly. Since you've presented no specific reasons why you think so, there's not much of a response I or anyone else in my position can make beyond "nuh-uh", which helps nobody.

Quote:
Seriously, it's like taking a time machine back to 2002.
I'm sure a lot of veterans on here like the nostalgic feel and all

If you would like a change to happen, the second best way to do it is to avoid passive-aggressive implications like the above as much as possible. It gives the impression that you don't actually want any improvements and are just here to mindlessly bash.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 4:16 am 

Forums are dying, not because the outdated software but because people tends to use social networks (facebook, reddit) instead.

I love the forums because the information persists trough time and it is easy to find old posts, but now the current generation has a diferent approach to news and informatio where everything is consumed and "discarded" very fast.

I cant use the facebook forum system (pages) because for me it is awful, but I know there is just as many people wants and thats why FB is a suscess and forums are dying.

I was also a user of USENET and at first I disliked the "web forums" when they appear, now USENET is almost dead, and soon the webforums, sadly

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 5:40 am 

FYI the RC's aware of the aged tech issues surrounding the website. From here:

Sheldon wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
In yesterday's article I read you are contemplating to "deprecate" this forum. I'm puzzled by this. While anyone can see this forum is old, this is the first time I read of anyone who thinks we need "new fancy stuff". I'm having a good time here, although I doubt that is your goal with this forum. What this forum does do you very good is explaining the finer nuances of the ban list and format rules. What else does the RC need?

No, I just meant bringing the technology of the website and forum into the 21st century.

The article in question is The Future (Sheldon Menery, 29th November 2018)

Also, I agree with Uktabi_Kong on the passive-aggressive digs. It's unnecessary and isn't going to help you. You said it yourself that we should be more mature than that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 5:57 am 

The only real complaint I have about the website itself is the part where the search bar doesn't work half the time, but even that one hasn't been a big deal as 1-3 refreshes will take care of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 6:35 am 

I glanced at sickly's profile, maybe they has a point, some good maths there :P

Total posts: 7
Most active forum: Rules Discussion
[ 4 Posts / 57.14% of user’s posts ]
Most active topic: let's talk unbanning.
[ 4 Posts / 57.14% of user’s posts ]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 7:00 am 

... what's wrong with those? They check out for me. (I'm assuming that the total posts is indeed 7, and most active forum & topic both have 4...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 7:34 am 

yep, I totally misunderstood what I was looking at. nm

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 8:08 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, it's like taking a time machine back to 2002.

If you would like a change to happen, the second best way to do it is to avoid passive-aggressive implications like the above as much as possible. It gives the impression that you don't actually want any improvements and are just here to mindlessly bash.

It is like a time machine. The blue-grey text on grey background has never been easy on the eyes, and the forum is not mobile friendly. There are other obvious problems too (ie, picture size scaling). I'm not sure why we're trying to drag the OP; he's not wrong.

I get that forums have to compete with reddit and FB, but honestly most professional websites get major updates every 2-3 years (or 18 months, if you're trying to sell something). This forum hasn't been updated ever, and it's been running for something like 12 years. At some point you make your own self-fulfilling prophecy, "Nope, can't compete with other social media, so we'll never do any updates, and that'll guarantee that we shut down."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 8:33 am 

I'd like a "like" button for posts. Mana symbol smileys would also be really cool. Ultimately I think the time required to maintain/upgrade the site is the big concern, as it's not like this is the RC's full-time jobs or something.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 9:18 am 

The real issue is that doing the type of upgrade suggested is not a trivial task. It would take a considerable amount of time, and it's not like this forum is a money-making endeavor, so it would require either volunteers that can devote that much time, or donations to hire someone. Odds are neither option would pan out well enough to result in a significant improvement to the site.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 9:29 am 

Quote:
I get that forums have to compete with reddit and FB, but honestly most professional websites get major updates every 2-3 years (or 18 months, if you're trying to sell something). This forum hasn't been updated ever, and it's been running for something like 12 years. At some point you make your own self-fulfilling prophecy, "Nope, can't compete with other social media, so we'll never do any updates, and that'll guarantee that we shut down."

This exactly

Quote:
It is like a time machine. The blue-grey text on grey background has never been easy on the eyes, and the forum is not mobile friendly. There are other obvious problems too (ie, picture size scaling). I'm not sure why we're trying to drag the OP; he's not wrong.

I appreciate the support and I would also like to know why I'm being dragged :?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 9:49 am 

Willbender wrote:
The real issue is that doing the type of upgrade suggested is not a trivial task. It would take a considerable amount of time, and it's not like this forum is a money-making endeavor, so it would require either volunteers that can devote that much time, or donations to hire someone. Odds are neither option would pan out well enough to result in a significant improvement to the site.

Yes and no.

It's probably not reasonable to expect the committee guys to redo the website themselves.

In terms of hiring someone to do it though, a really fancy site fix-up is a $4,000-$8,000 project (depending on where your web design/developers live). That's not a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, and it could reasonably be paid for with a crowdfunding/advertising combo.

So in terms of time commitment, the question is really, "Does the committee care to put together a funding plan and go hire someone?"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:15 am 

The other thing to consider is that with every change and update, you inadvertently flesh out bugs and glitches. So even if you overhaul the site, if you don't have someone on hand to make the adjustments then you might be worse off than if you had left well enough alone.

Besides, what really is the goal of the RC with these forums? They have a stable platform in which they can talk directly to users. And they certainly aren't trying to compete with other sites and do something unique. I mean, I certainly dont disagree with the basic premise of the OP (just their method), but I also don't necessarily agree that some sweeping overhaul is the answer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 1:04 pm 

sicklyjewel wrote:
I would also like to know why I'm being dragged

Because of your attitude. When you say things like

sicklyjewel wrote:

You indirectly accuse long-time users of being anti-update in a negative way. In other words, you are being needlessly insulting to people you have barely interacted with. A large percentage of your very few posts are of this nature. If you don't like the perception of yourself you have given people, you can work to change that, although that is now going to be an uphill battle.
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Exactly.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile