[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Wish you were here: A mechanic defunct

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 4:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish you were here: A mechanic defunct
AgePosted: 2019-May-15 12:50 pm 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-16 3:30 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-16 6:22 am 

Adding 2U to the cost of your spell isn't great... that would be why I would not run in most decks. Maybe a storm deck? Once you hit infinite mana or whatever having access to your choice of 15 cards could be the game ender... but you wouldn't want to hide all your wincons in the SB like you could in a 60 card format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 8:59 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 9:40 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 3:12 pm 

If anything, I wish that they would errata them to their old function, so you could pull cards from exile. A lot of interesting combos would pop up.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 12:32 pm 

I don't think interesting is the word, R&D use a self-exiling clause to manage the power-level of a lot of cards, messing with that seems dangerous.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 1:10 am 

I'm not in favor of Wishes because I think that the 100-card deck building style allows you to put more than enough cards into your deck that you don't need to go outside of your deck to find more. There are so many tutors available that let you pull cards out of your deck when you need them, so I don't see the rationalization behind the demand to get extra cards.

Exiling is a part of certain cards and mechanics and I think allowing Wish cards to grab exiled cards would also ruin the balance associated with spells that exile themselves.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 1:26 am 

Speaking as a player who runs Kess, the last thing that deck needs is a way to get all of its shenanigans back from exile.

Ugh, combining the wishes with or makes me want to crawl up in a hole and die.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-01 2:24 pm 

Oh, they would be broken. Hell, they would probably be banned in EDH. But it was an important part of those cards history and original function, and would be fun in 60 card. They are useless in EDH right now anyways, so it would at least they would go out blazing, not be forgotten.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-01 11:48 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-20 4:35 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-20 11:49 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-21 12:54 am 

I guess I asked for it when I used the word "intended", but still...

What you say might make sense if it were just about the old wishes, but now we also have Coax from the Blind Eternities, Mastermind's Acquisition, and Karn, the Great Creator which were printed after the rule change. How could it possibly be unintended in those cases? Bear in mind that I didn't just say "intended" in my last post, but more precisely, "currently intended".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-21 1:42 am 

Don't those cards prove what I was just saying?

Coax & Karn specifically say "or from exile" while Mastermind's Acquisition doesn't. They show that WoTC has a template for grabbing from outside the game or exile -- but they haven't updated the original wishes (or Mastermind's Acquisition) to include the exile zone.

If it was currently intended for the original Wishes to let you get something from Exile -- then the oracle wording would be updated to say so. So no, I don't think it's even currently intended that they should do so.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next