Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 7:55 pm

Post subject: Character driven commander
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 3:11 am 

Here is the idea, you create a PW or a general that is based on an existing general / legendary creature. You fill your deck with commons like you would if you were first building the deck. As you play you get experience for achievement points for completing certain tasks and "level up" your character / general, and as you do you can replace your common cards with uncommon and all the way up to rare or mythic and such. You keep a character sheet with a list of these achievements and can check them off with your group as you play. Let me know what you think or would like to add to this. Maybe even get mythic abilities that don't exist like your starting hand is 8 instead of 7 (Just a throw out random idea.) if you level up beyond a certain level.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Character driven commander
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 4:05 am 

That is really hard to balance right.

Me and some friends did something like this in the past ... you play some games against others, and you earn XP for winning (and a bit for just playing if you lose). The player with the lower XP total had a bonus to health and/or starting cards in hand to try to balance off against someone who ostensibly had a better deck than you.

If you keep it to "X XP to upgrade a common to uncommon; Y XP to upgrade uncommon to rare, etc" then it could be fairly easy to keep balanced. Adding in additional abilities ... that starts to lead people to min/max much more, as you have more to min/max with. Trying to use XP to add/upgrade abilities on your custom 'walker would likely lead to various min/maxing.

I love the idea though. If you do try to flesh it out and do more with it, I'd be very interested in seeing what you do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 4:20 am 

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/15084_The_Kitchen_Table_209_The_Magic_RolePlaying_Game.html

This might have some stuff you could use.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 5:02 am 

That is an old article -- wonder if we used that when we were doing our thing... :)

Edit: There was an update he did for it as well: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/casual/25156-The-Kitchen-Table-393-Magic-The-Role-Playing-Game-Updates.html

Offline Profile