All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 8:29 pm

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 3:18 am 

DeadlyDawn wrote:
Touché

\o/

:D

I am also very sad for RN, and kokusho, but I undestand. As we're playing Heads up mostly (France), I will continue the debate to see if it is as broken in 1vs1 than in multip.

In that case it would be considered as a [home/national]rule.

Let's say that my international EDHs will always be edhrulewise.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 4:22 am 

iceage4life wrote:
Cards do not get banned because everyone plays them. How often a card gets played should have little to no impact on B&R lists.

Affinity, lol. Heres how i feel about it.

Lets say that there are cards in each color that are considered, "auto-includes" due to the fact that they are the best cards for the specific color's given archetype. We'll use Goyf, Recurring Nightmare, Counterspell, WoG, and Demonfire. People will use these cards because they are just so damned good that they cant NOT use them, because if you rip that off of the top, usually there will always be that point in the game where...FUCK YEAH COUNTERSPELL!, or GOYYYYYYYF! is heard as you windmill slam that shit down.

So, when people realize, "when i drop this card, i win." 50% of the decks you play against that have black in them are all going to be using recurring nightmare to use some graveyard shenanigans. 100% of green will have goyf. 100% of blue will have counterspell, 101% will have WoG, and 4% will have demonfire.
Wait...4% WTF IS THAT!?
Oh yeah, thats right, some cards are just better than other ones, and were designed to be as such.
I agree with you that it blows that RN can fuck with you and make you lose the turn it drops, i agree that when goyf hits the only thing you can do sometimes is say, "BOB SAGET!" and hope to topdeck a terror or a cribswap. Im Perfectly well aware of how gay it is to have someone counterspell your Radha as a general turn 2 and you lose temp by like 3 turns, and i know how horrible it is to have someone wog right before you swing MacLethal making you just sit back and Heath Ledger.
Do you agree with me that a topdecked hellbent demonfire for lethal turn before you swing isnt just as horrendously die-in-a-fire-ish? How about Disintegrate on your Reveillark?
Once the format has set the level of power for a card, you must choose to break that given meta, and say, "Fuck you RN, im running scrabbling claws, and tormods crypt in my deck with trinket mage tech." Or, "Fuck you guy who plays discard...im playing Demonfire"

Le sigh, and i dont look at the next topic. Oh well, it just shows that people are pussies who cant run graveyard/creature/enchantment hate.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 5:28 am 

Genomancer wrote:
So yes, based on the amount of mana available (alone), RN can be banned under principle #1... it's just THAT much more powerful in EDH than it is in regular magic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 9:30 am 

MonoBlack|Patrol wrote:
iceage4life wrote:
Cards do not get banned because everyone plays them. How often a card gets played should have little to no impact on B&R lists.

Affinity, lol.

Umm, everyone ran it because it was broken, lol.

As far as the rest of your post, what Enchantment hate hurts RN, Aura of Silence?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 12:51 pm 

iceage4life wrote:
As far as the rest of your post, what Enchantment hate hurts RN, Aura of Silence?

Presence of the Master. (Go Albert Einstien!)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-29 4:28 pm 

iceage4life wrote:

You're darn tootin'. That should be an auto include in white and be played on turn 3 if it is in your opening hand and you have the mana. I held off some brutal RN shennanigans with this in play one game. I think the cost of RN has a lot to do with it. If it cost 5, people wouldn't be falling all over themselves to play it. It would see some play, sure, but it wouldn't be ubiquitous.

As to "what other cards" yeh, prescence rules, but there's Arenson's Aura and the functional reprint, Teferi's Care. They aren't super cards, but I could see them in a Zur/Ertai the Corrupt/Hanna deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Mar-03 1:32 am 

Philatio wrote:
I think the cost of RN has a lot to do with it. If it cost 5, people wouldn't be falling all over themselves to play it. It would see some play, sure, but it wouldn't be ubiquitous.

That's very much the case. I had some discussion with Gavin at Worlds which basically observed that a major issue with RN is that you look at your hand and think..."well, I could play this 6 mana creature that won't do much until next turn...or I could just play RN twice and have some recursion fun". For some reason, the latter option almost always wins.

Offline Profile