Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-19 6:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-01 2:13 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

EDIT: Almost forgot... Immolation Shaman.

I could definitely see Immolation Shaman in a Xantcha, Sleeper Agent deck. But a deck with things like wishmonger, fan favorite, sailmonger, warmonger, squallmonger would also be ... memorable :lol: So I'd say Chromanticore if your group is amenable to it, if not Golos, Tireless Pilgrim as a new toy to go with it.

How about Spellshift?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-01 7:45 am 

TygerClaw wrote:
How about Spellshift?

Besides simply embracing the chaos and hoping for the best, I like it as a "Polymorph Spell" card. It gives you the option (random as it may be) to take a cheap spell and turn it into something that might be better- -if you use it to counter your own spells. My thought is things with cascade- -the really bad ones that you are only playing for the cascade triggers- -why not have a shot at trading up? Things like Demonic Dread, Violent Outburst, especially Throes of Chaos.

I like this helmed by Riku of Two Reflections for compounding advantage (say, copying the spells you Spellshift into...), but it limits you to only Throes, and Violent Outburst for instants/sorceries with cascade.

Possibly better option, which lets you play more cascade spells: Ramos, Dragon Engine for a giant pile of +1/+1 counter triggers (Magical Chistmasland: cast Demonic Dread (2 +1/+1 counters), cascade into Hull Breach (2 +1/+1 Counters), Spellshift the Demonic Dread (1 +1/+1 counter), Spellshift resolves, revealing Rishkar's Expertise (1 +1/+1 counter), drawing 10 cards and casting more things...)

Where's a good place for Sigil of the New Dawn?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-02 3:18 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Where's a good place for Sigil of the New Dawn?

I like to think of it as Enduring Renewal 2.0. Generic recursion, but costly to use. The initial buy-in is 6 mana, and it puts the creature in hand, making it somewhat inefficient (compared to something like Marshal's Anthem).

I think this has a home in Karametra, God of Harvests. Karametra will (probably) have the mana to make good on this. Additionally, creatures being returned to hand presents the opportunity of getting more land.

I can't think of any particular ETB I would want to abuse, but I'm sure someone with more imagination will point out something broken.

Who wants Bag of Holding?

Edit: This one, since the card db this site uses hasn't updated with hitherto unreleased product: https://scryfall.com/card/m20/222/bag-of-holding

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-02 9:28 am 

Sinis wrote:
I can't think of any particular ETB I would want to abuse, but I'm sure someone with more imagination will point out something broken.

Self-sacrificing creatures spring to mind, like Sidisi, Undead Vizier, or Fleshbag Marauder.

I don't have an immediate thought for the bag, so I'll let someone else take it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 12:46 am 

(Also not an answer, more discussion about Sigil)

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sinis wrote:

Self-sacrificing creatures spring to mind, like Sidisi, Undead Vizier, or Fleshbag Marauder.

I don't have an immediate thought for the bag, so I'll let someone else take it.
I agree that it's cute where this is going, but you have to note how monstrously mana inefficient using it is. 4 mana buy-in, and then Sidisi + Sigil's trigger is another 7 (!!!) mana. Realistically, you'd be way better off playing something like Diabolic Revelation, or even flashing back Increasing Ambition, unless you wanted to tutor like 5+ cards, or were using something like Black Market + Copy Enchantment.

I think Sigil shines in Karametra because there is *so* much ramp to utilize it, and Karametra might otherwise have trouble drawing cards. I think that's the real bottom line; Sigil has a great capture rate, but the throughput is bottlenecked by a truly colossal mana investment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 9:25 am 

Sinis wrote:
I agree that it's cute where this is going, but you have to note how monstrously mana inefficient using it is. 4 mana buy-in, and then Sidisi + Sigil's trigger is another 7 (!!!) mana. Realistically, you'd be way better off playing something like Diabolic Revelation, or even flashing back Increasing Ambition, unless you wanted to tutor like 5+ cards, or were using something like Black Market + Copy Enchantment.

Black Market is definitely a card that would be in this deck. Probably headed by Ayli, for the snackrifices. In fact, Ayli would be a great fit for it, since the cost of sac is cheap. But in any event, I'm talking about having a critical mass of self-snacking creatures (not necessarily just ETB ones either) that the sigil could recur.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 5:30 am 

Sinis wrote:
Who wants Bag of Holding?

Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion + the Bag may as well be cheating. You're even in the right color to reanimate artifacts (Trash for Treasure, Daretti, Scrap Mastery, et. al,), if you need the bag back.

On the subject of new 2020 additions, how about Season of Growth?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-23 11:33 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
On the subject of new 2020 additions, how about Season of Growth?

I think Kestia, the Cultivator would like this a lot in an aura-heavy deck. It turns all of our auras into cantrips, and makes all of our creature spells become topdeck filtering to find more auras. Please use Nylea's Colossus, Eidolon of Blossoms, and Ajani's Chosen as well.

Uril, the Miststalker would also like this card. He wouldn't make quite as much use of it, but he'd definitely like cantripping auras.

Season of Growth also turns effects like Titan's Strength or Giant Growth into cantrips, but most of the commanders that work well with these kinds of spells targeting your own creatures are red and nongreen. Someone like Saskia prefers to hold onto these to also target opponents' creatures for funsies, so I don't think it's an ideal match for that kind of strategy.

Where would you use Loxodon Lifechanter?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-30 1:07 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Where would you use Loxodon Lifechanter?

The best place for this is in a life-gain oriented deck. I think, from the trigger, we're never going to gain life. It's probably always going to be a loss, and may even be a catastrophic amount.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though; it's an option for us. If we have Children of Korlis or Tainted Sigil out, that life loss can be translated into a huge life gain trigger for the purposes of Sanguine Bond, or Cradle of Vitality.

Likewise, the activated ability is also desired in a lifegain deck; you can translate a very high lifetotal into a dire threat, especially when combined with evasion.

I would want to play this in a Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper with Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa. We might even be able to run a kind of Doran, the Siege Tower subtheme with all the assigns-damage-with-toughness cards that have been printed.

Y'all, help me find a home for (the admittedly super-awful) Altar of Shadows.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-30 2:47 am 

The activated ability is just too expensive to be of any practical use in and of its own ability, so it seems to be best as a discount Black Market. And in that vein, it seems thatfar and away the best general for it is the infinite proliferator Yawgmoth, Thran Physician himself. Not only does he want excruciatingly large amounts of black Amanda, but he’s the most consistent way of getting the counters on without spending ten billion mana every turn.

Next card is a staple, but I want to know which general can actually utilize it the best: the ever complained-about Cyclonic Roft

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-30 5:44 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Next card is a staple, but I want to know which general can actually utilize it the best: the ever complained-about Cyclonic Rofl

I think this effect would be strongest in a deck that made it more punishing for your opponents to replay everything. I think it would incorporate effects like Spellshock from red and effects like Blind Obedience from white, plus some blue and white tax effects like Rhystic Study and Grand Arbiter. In those colors, partners Kraum, Ludevic's Opus and Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker both benefit from opponents replaying their cards.

Next Card:
Wildfire Elemental

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 1:02 am 

Coco wrote:

There's no legendary creature I know of that can reliably trigger this bad boy without killing the elemental (or the creatures you're hoping to buff) as well. But, there are definitely very reasonable cards that combo well with Wildfire Elemental.

Rakdos Charm and Fiery Confluence are both very playable, and will trigger Wildfire Elemental several times each (at a 4 person table, Fiery Confluence, if you choose the damage-player mode three times, will trigger Wildfire Elemental 9 times; Rakdos Charm will trigger Wildfire Elemental for each creature your opponents control).

There are other playables amongs the non-blue that are not quite so dramatic: Zhur-Taa Druid, Crackling Doom, Firebrand Archer, Guttersnipe, etc.

As for the rest of the deck and the general, we want to go wide-ish. In order to capture a lot of the cards we'd want to play with this, I would say Saskia the Unyielding. While Saskia has no particular synergy with Wildfire Elemental, she rewards creature based decks. Alternatively, Tana, the Bloodsower with Tymna the Weaver/Ravos, Soultender will also play well into the go-wide strategy while providing the best colours to make good it.

Up next: Splicer's Skill

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 1:32 am 

Sinis wrote:
Coco wrote:

There's no legendary creature I know of that can reliably trigger this bad boy without killing the elemental (or the creatures you're hoping to buff) as well.

Omnath, Locus of Rage? You have plenty of elementals and plenty of means to sacrifice them. Perilous Forays would be helpful for this.
Quote:

Still this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 4:51 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Sinis wrote:
Coco wrote:

There's no legendary creature I know of that can reliably trigger this bad boy without killing the elemental (or the creatures you're hoping to buff) as well.

Omnath, Locus of Rage? You have plenty of elementals and plenty of means to sacrifice them. Perilous Forays would be helpful for this.

I guess I should have mentioned that I was thinking only of generals who could damage all players or all opponents. It also works with Heartless Hidetsugu, but, after you halve people's life totals, giving +1/+0 to your guys seems kind of trivial.

Same for Omnath; if you've set up a Perilous Forays combo and you can bolt as many times as you want limited only by mana and lands in your deck, giving your guys +1/+0 per bolt seems... lackluster?

If we wanted just a 1 or 2 power bonus, we could have played Goblin Oriflamme, or even Moonveil Dragon. I was thinking of it as more in the line of something like Guttersnipe, a reward for slugging all of our opponents at once.

That said, you're not wrong. We could definitely get power bonuses in Omnath for just sacrificing elemental tokens (Tempt with Vengeance or Elemental Mastery and a sacrifice outlet with Omnath, or if you use Goblin Bombardment on the blocked tokens). Maybe even Outpost Siege's other mode.
Quote:
Quote:

Still this.

Still this :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 2:04 am 

Sinis wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Still this.

Still this :)

I think it would be cool in a deck that runs all the "Commanderstorm" cards (e.g. Genesis Storm), especially since I think that Fury Storm with this spliced on is infinite golems. I think the best commanders for this would be the two 2-mana partners, Akiri and Thrasios which are easy to cast 2 or 3 times each to get some huge commanderstorm numbers.

Next card: Necropouncer

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next