Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-21 10:03 am

Post subject: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: Colourless: Traxos Dragon-King
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-04 11:48 am 

ImageTraxos, Dragon-King of TarkirImage

Theme: Dragon-Throne/Vehicle crewing shenanigans

Link to deckstats decklist: https://deckstats.net/decks/5132/130427 ... d-of-tarki

Decklist:
//Commander
SB: 1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog # !Commander

//THE THRONE
1 Dragon Throne of Tarkir

//Vehicles
1 AEthersphere Harvester
1 Aradara Express
1 Consulate Dreadnought
1 Conqueror's Galleon
1 Cultivator's Caravan
1 Daredevil Dragster
1 Demolition Stomper
1 Dusk Legion Dreadnought
1 Fleetwheel Cruiser
1 Irontread Crusher
1 Mobile Garrison
1 Ovalchase Dragster
1 Sleek Schooner
1 Smuggler's Copter
1 Untethered Express
1 Weatherlight

//Other Creatures
1 Chief of the Foundry
1 Duplicant #(also removal)
1 Endless One
1 Junk Diver
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Ornithopter
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Steel Overseer
1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Untappers
1 Clock of Omens
1 Galvanic Key
1 Staff of Domination
1 Sword of the Paruns
1 Umbral Mantle
1 Unwinding Clock
1 Voltaic Key

//Things that care about artifacts
1 Darksteel Forge
1 Jhoira's Familiar
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Welding Jar

//Removal/Draw
1 All Is Dust
1 Brittle Effigy
1 Mask of Memory
1 Mishra's Bauble
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Scour from Existence
1 Sentinel Totem
1 Spine of Ish Sah

//Power pumpers and other random equipment
1 Claws of Gix
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Trading Post
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Random other Things that are probably coming out when I get more Vehicles
1 Golem Foundry
1 Prototype Portal

//Mana
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Hedron Archive
1 Mana Vault
1 Mind Stone
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 Pristine Talisman
1 Sol Ring
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Worn Powerstone
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Phyrexia's Core
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terrain Generator
30 Wastes

Notes: So, what do you do with a severely undercosted 7/7 Trampler? Well OBVIOUSLY you give him defender and an ability to boost your whole team. The idea is you get a bunch of vehicles on to the battlefield, crew one with Traxos, untap him, crew another vehicle, play an artifact to untap him, crew another vehicle, play another artifact to untap him, give your team +7/+7, untap him, give your team another +7/+7, and then swing for the fences. What could possibly go wrong? Nothing. That's what.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: Colourless: Traxos Dragon-King
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-04 11:48 am 

Most recent changes:

None.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-04 11:52 am 

Cards wanted:

Inventor's Fair (to find the throne)
Skyship Weatherlight (to find the throne)
Kuldotha Forgemaster (to, uh, find the throne)
Planar Portal/Planar Bridge (to find the throne)
Ring of Three Wishes (to find the thing)

From Spectrar Ghost:
Magewright’s Stone
Manifold Key
Thousand-Year Elixir
Jandor’s Saddlebags
Puppet Strings

From Segrus:
Voltaic Construct
Gruesome Slaughter

From Shabbaman:
Ugin, the Ineffable

Any untappers I've missed?

Last edited by Viperion on 2019-Jul-06 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 12:36 am 

Magewright’s Stone
Manifold Key
Thousand-Year Elixir
Jandor’s Saddlebags
Puppet Strings

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 6:57 am 

Awesome thanks :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 7:33 am 

I may have missed them mentioned, but also Voltaic Construct and possibly Dross Scorpion? Dross Scorpion definitely less so, but I know it's possible to build around its effect.

Have you gotten to try this deck out yet? I have a Traxos deck, but it is somewhat directionless right now. I realized the synergy between it and Gruesome Slaughter and then couldn't come up with much else.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 7:39 am 

I'm gonna be playing it about 4 hours from this post :) Will let you know how it goes. I imagine it's going to go much worse than I hope it's going to, but you never know ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 1:36 am 

Viperion wrote:
Most recent changes:

None.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Don't you want new Ugin (draw and removal) and maybe new Karn?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 9:29 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Thanks for keeping us posted. Don't you want new Ugin (draw and removal) and maybe new Karn?

Ugin is a great call :) Hadn't thought of that one. Not so hot on Karn, he's definitely a house but he doesn't advance my deck's plan too much and (personal bugbear) I'm not a fan of cards that say "your opponent's can't"

The game went great :) Got an early Cultivator's Caravan into Golem Foundry and honestly it went a bit nuts from there. I was flooding the board with artifacts, and had just played the Myr Battlesphere when the Daghatar opponent decided enough was enough and played Hour of Revelation. Ah well. A bit of rebuilding later (including a Prototype Portal imprinting a Mana Vault, which got blown up VERY quickly haha) I was doing fine but then another wrath later on - mostly to counter the Ur-Dragon opponent who was getting out of hand - left me with a Smuggler's Copter and Weatherlight with nobody to crew it. I didn't win the game but I had a blast and I think I like the deck. Sword of the Paruns was good, but not great, at untapping Traxos. It's pretty mana intensive.

Didn't draw the Dragon Throne though :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 11:16 am 

Paradox Engine? I use it in my Karn deck. Breaks the game when it hits the table. You could have vehicles crew other vehicles as well. If only for lolz.

Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 6:17 pm 

Yeah you're not wrong; I think Paradox Engine is one of those cards that elicits immediate eye-rolling from the rest of the table though. It would be great in this deck, no question (and wouldn't go infinite like nearly every other PE deck). It's out of my price range at the moment in any case.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 6:52 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Not so hot on Karn, he's definitely a house but he doesn't advance my deck's plan too much and (personal bugbear) I'm not a fan of cards that say "your opponent's can't"

I bought one but that is exactly why I'm not playing it. I intended to switch Karn, Silver Golem for it, because I wanted that +1 effect. The upside of Karn, the Great Creator is that you can get exiled stuff back, which should be nice when you're reliant on the graveyard. You're not (from what I gather).

Also, look at Mystic Forge. It might just draw less hate than Paradox Engine. Maybe. Just the first time you play it. Some random cards I play in my artifact-relevant deck: Scrapyard Recombiner (there are a lot of constructs, although I play it mostly for the modular counters), Animation Module (because of the counters... this card has a love affair with Steel Overseer, I think there's some power coupling interfacing going on there), and Scrap Trawler (which works for me because I want to sacrifice my stuff, but this is one of my favorite cards in my Glissa deck).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-07 10:05 am 

Viperion wrote:
The game went great :) Got an early Cultivator's Caravan into Golem Foundry and honestly it went a bit nuts from there. I was flooding the board with artifacts, and had just played the Myr Battlesphere when the Daghatar opponent decided enough was enough and played Hour of Revelation. Ah well. A bit of rebuilding later (including a Prototype Portal imprinting a Mana Vault, which got blown up VERY quickly haha) I was doing fine but then another wrath later on - mostly to counter the Ur-Dragon opponent who was getting out of hand - left me with a Smuggler's Copter and Weatherlight with nobody to crew it. I didn't win the game but I had a blast and I think I like the deck. Sword of the Paruns was good, but not great, at untapping Traxos. It's pretty mana intensive.

Didn't draw the Dragon Throne though :(

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Prototype Portal is such a great card--I'm surprised it's still worth less than $1 for what it can do in the casual games. I don't know if I'm going to tool my build closer to yours, as I'm still weighing this against a Modular theme or just a regular Voltron theme (Vulshok Gauntlets and Stitcher's Graft look so strong), or just the mess I've currently got which is...somewhat...wastes-ing space.

Have you given any thought towards Golden Guardian? It activates off of Traxos without killing Traxos and its backside creates tokens which can singlehandedly crew most vehicles and doesn't go away during most wraths. I've slapped it into my build, but I haven't really been playing that deck lately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-07 10:31 am 

Golden Guardian isn't a card I even knew about - it might be ok but (at least in this last game) I spend a lot of mana every turn untapping Traxos or playing artifacts (to untap Traxos) and although the back side of it makes artifact creatures it's using 5 mana to do it, and it's not casting a spell so Traxos doesn't care about it. I'll give it some thought, but I don't think I'll have 5 "spare" mana very often. It's an interesting thought though!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-07 12:14 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Golden Guardian isn't a card I even knew about - it might be ok but (at least in this last game) I spend a lot of mana every turn untapping Traxos or playing artifacts (to untap Traxos) and although the back side of it makes artifact creatures it's using 5 mana to do it, and it's not casting a spell so Traxos doesn't care about it. I'll give it some thought, but I don't think I'll have 5 "spare" mana very often. It's an interesting thought though!

Yeah, the effectively 5-mana cost for creating the tokens is rough, but I suppose I was weighing that against having to recast Traxos after it's been killed a few times. I'm really thinking of it as a response to wrath effect messing up your board too often, but it might be too slow regardless.

I've been toying around with Golden Guardian in different builds, and I think it can be worthwhile in the correct build. There was a game with my Zetalpa deck where a Weathered Wayfarer stuck around for way too long than it had any right to. I was able to flip Golden Guardian and copy it with Vesuva, which felt super satisfying (along with other ridiculous stuff, like casting Zetalpa on turn 5 without artifact ramp).

Offline Profile