Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-22 3:50 am

Post subject: Best Ways for Mono Green EDH to deal with Combo?
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 7:28 pm 

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of spot removal I run since my opponents will always manage to combo off with activated abilities and triggered abilities that aren't mana abilities. One time when I was playing EDH against someone who was running Tatyova, Benthic Druid as his Commander, he managed to get off an infinite Landfall combo that I wasn't able to stop with Force of Vigor since he had priority on the stack first. If I remember correctly he managed to win in that one turn with either Laboratory Maniac or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries.

The thing is that I don't want to tear my Nissa, Vastwood Seer deck apart to run Chalune, Teller of Tales just so that I can flash in creatures to counter my opponents spells / abilities on their turn with Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, and Alchemist's Refuge. Collector Ouphe isn't too shabby which almost makes up for Null Rod being so expensive in cEDH. I also looked into Defense Grid and Thorn of Amethyst as well. Choke could be used as a political tool against someone whose thinking of overloading Cyclonic Rift. Got any ideas while staying within a reasonable budget perhaps?

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best Ways for Mono Green EDH to deal with Combo?
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 8:46 pm 

Do you remember what combo was used for infinite landfall triggers? Fastbond is banned, so I am guessing it was some kind of flicker effect?

Also, is your deck casual or cEDH?

Generally speaking, Krosan Grip is a good combo breaker. Things like Pattern of Rebirth (when paired with a sac outlet) make for good instant-speed creature dropping shenanigans. Of course, against that specific combo, you can go with big mana in mono-green and run Mind's Eye to let his triggers fill your hand too.

Burgeoning is a non-budget response for landfall decks (about $11 right now).

I can get more specific with advice when we have more information; but I am also far from the best deck doc in the forums (Kong... where are you?), so maybe they will wander this way too.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-31 11:49 pm 

Infinite landfall trigger decks cannot, to my knowledge, hold priority indefinitely; even if they're playing a bounceland over and over, you have an opportunity to respond to the trigger, and the stack must be empty for them to take a 'play a land' action.

My monogreen (and Gruul) decks really struggle against combo; so much that I don't really play them at spikier tables.

I've found the best way is to play Seedtime (to leverage your own stuff faster), Krosan Grip (to break combo pieces with few questions asked), and otherwise play very proactive strategies (i.e. the answer to stop you from getting there is to get there first). While I was playing Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, games were often me trying to demand answers, while playing only a few answers myself. In a 1v1 context, you could play Plow Under, Stunted Growth and Primal Command to bury moderate combo players under insurmountable tempo while you enact your gameplan.

Currently, I play Radha, Heir to Keld as a tribal dragons deck with quality ramp, and it kind of plays the same game as Selvala; table threats so quickly that players holding combo pieces instead of answers get smoked.

Beyond that, if you're playing against a lot of combo, I think the format generally requires you to play blue; it's not unlike Legacy that way. From the cEDH lists I've seen, most are playing the same kind of deck; combo decks with a lot of tutors and a few quality control pieces. Mono-Green just doesn't have the breadth of cards to compete.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 1:19 am 

There is also Jester's Cap to preemptively remove their combo cards (Lab Man and Jace is this case).

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 4:03 am 

Mono Green has been needlessly punished by ridiculous bannings such as Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial so combo decks can run rampant over it. Sorry to say it but the RC loves combo and doesn’t seem to mind ruining mono green for everyone else.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 7:06 am 

PrimeTime4Life wrote:
Mono Green has been needlessly punished by ridiculous bannings such as Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial so combo decks can run rampant over it. Sorry to say it but the RC loves combo and doesn’t seem to mind ruining mono green for everyone else.

On what do you base this information? Everything I’ve seen indicates that the RC don’t particularly like combo, but can’t do anything about it short of an unworkably long ban list. You should read over some of the threads about the prime time and sylvan bans. They’re not at all ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 9:15 am 

Not to mention that the existence or lack thereof of Sylvan Primordial and Primeval Titan has fuck all to do with combo decks. And they never would have been banned had their primary usage been in monogreen anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-01 9:31 am 

Cut all the interaction from the deck. Be the fastest combo build at the table.

Controlling other players (especially by trying to interact with the stack) is not Green's forte. It's great at destroying artifacts, but that's about it. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with something like Krosan Grip... it's three mana that I could be using to try to win the game with instead.

I don't know that Nissa is a general that gets you where you want to be though... I'd rather run one of the taps-for-mana legends instead.

Alternatively, if you wanted a mono-green control commander, I'd check out Yisan.

Maybe throw up your current decklist and we could kick the tires a bit?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-02 12:33 pm 

Hall of Gemstones does some really good work vs. Combo from mono green.
It's amazing how many alternate mana methods Green has vs multicolor decks trying to "go off"

Offline Profile