Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 6:47 pm

Post subject: Synergies that are also anti-synergies
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-04 3:58 am 

Hivestone + Harmonic Sliver: this two card combo looks pretty bad when compared to Aura Shards doing the full work of both cards, and Aura Shards' trigger is a 'may' ability, so that it doesn't ever have to destroy itself whereas if your opponents have no valid targets, you will have to destroy your own Hivestone when a creature enters under your control. That said, Aura Shards is extremely good and even a clearly worse version of it is still good in the right deck; I'm running this combo in my Dr. Julius Jumblemorph list.

Thought Reflection + Mindmoil/Arjun, the Shifting Flame: again this very good synergy is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it is not a 'may' ability. You will only be able to cast a small number of spells before you are forced to deck yourself, so you better hope your discard outlet / timetwister / LabMan effect is among the cards cast and does not get disrupted.

Obviously, almost every strong synergy can become a drawback in rare circumstances such as being Mindslavered, but I'm looking for interactions that can backfire a little more frequently but which are strong enough (or just cool enough) to want to use them anyway. Any other ideas?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Synergies that are also anti-synergies
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-04 7:04 am 

Putting Drogskol Reaver in any deck that has red in it has resulted in this in my experience. So many pingers exist that upon being granted lifelink will constantly draw you cards... and not as a may ability.

It's not quite what you're looking for, but I see Kiki-Jiki and Zealous Conscripts in a similar light. If we ignore the fact that they go infinite off of each other, everything else about them screams "a deck that has one should probably have the other". They tend to synergize with similar cards, a better Act of Treason-on-a-stick is a perfect Kiki target, and temporarily stealing something enormous and then copying it is a massive tempo and possibly resource swing. It's to the point that I really want them to print Zeal-Inducing Conscriptors: the exact same card but it can only target opposing permanents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-04 10:03 am 

I was playing against an enchantment prison type deck and after casting Replenish he realized that Humility, Solemnity, Dovescape, and Night of Souls' Betrayal locks everyone (including him) out of the game. Nobody could think of a way to break the lock, so we counted deck size and the person with the most cards left won.

I have a friend with a high CMC deck (average CMC is over 5 including lands) and he had to cut the card Hoarder's Greed because it kept killing him (by both life and decking sometimes).

I have seen Toothy, Imaginary Friend kill its controller fairly frequently. If it gets too many counters there are very few ways to get rid of it safely (although I did see someone pull a clutch Bioshift once).

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-04 10:20 am 

Coco wrote:
I was playing against an enchantment prison type deck and after casting Replenish he realized that Humility, Solemnity, Dovescape, and Night of Souls' Betrayal locks everyone (including him) out of the game. Nobody could think of a way to break the lock, so we counted deck size and the person with the most cards left won.

New quest detected!

I ended up adding Words of Worship to my WG Selvala Enchantress deck after accidentally decking myself with Alhamarret’s Archive and two or three Enchantress effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-04 11:52 am 

Coco wrote:

Tough one. Best solution I can come up with is Boseiju with some enchantment removal.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-05 8:08 am 

Also Chandra, Awakened Inferno and maybe Banefire/Demonfire depending on their life total. If I understand correctly, Solemnity is not a critical part of the lock anymore. Since the change to ETB replacements, Humility prevents creatures that would enter with counters due to their own abilities from entering with those counters. But since it was there, that shuts off Commence the Endgame and Savage Summoning as answers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-05 10:33 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Coco wrote:

New quest detected!

(Assuming there are no win conditions on the table at this point, and you need to get them there somehow)

Ways to win:
1) Don't deck out: Eldrazi titans, Darksteel Colossus, or any other creature that shuffles back in when it hits the graveyard.
2) Put spells on the stack or permanents into play without casting them: Genesis Hydra or Hatchery Spider (and some luck hitting a non-creature win conditionl), or Mirrorpool with an instant or sorcery that will win you the game. Storm spells might work, but limits on hand size will typically make that difficult.
3) Burning lands FTW! Keldon Megaliths, Leechridden Swamp, Orzhova, the Church of Deals, Stensia Bloodhall, or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle.
4) Ignore the Dovescape: Boseiju, Who Shelters All, or Chandra, Awakened Inferno. There's also several uncounterable burn spells, such as Banefire or Urza's Rage, but that's going to depend on life totals.

Or, you could just break the lock by casting Mockery of Nature, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, or World Breaker, or using the options in section 2 above with any enchantment removal. Also, Abrupt Decay can get rid of the Solemnity so you can put in creatures that enter with +1/+1 counters.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile