Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 11:39 am

Post subject: Morophon, the boundless eldrazi tribal
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-15 7:50 am 

I would like some help fine-tuning my deck. It seems like every time I sit down to play, I lose first or second and I dont know why. Any help with card suggestions is appreciated, but let me get some specific cards out of the way because I already know that I need them.

Ulamog, the infinite gyre and Ulamog, the ceaseless hunger[
/card]: Working on getting these, they're just a bit out of my price range.
[card]Kozilek, butcher of truth
: Same as the two versions of Ulamog.
The other 7 shock lands: Too expensive
Fetch lands: Way too expensive

Morophon, the Boundless

It That Betrays
Mindmelter
Blisterpod
Void Winnower
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Dimensional Infiltrator
Broodwarden
Kozilek's Predator
Nest Invader
Incubator Drone
Kozilek's Sentinel
Eldrazi Skyspawner
Sludge Crawler
Emrakul, the Promised End
Catacomb Sifter
Distended Mindbender
Decimator of the Provinces
Desolation Twin
Sifter of Skulls
Cultivator Drone
Scion Summoner
Pawn of Ulamog

Armillary Sphere
Vanquisher's Banner
Thran Dynamo
Darksteel Ingot
Dimir Signet
Izzet Signet
Orzhov Signet
Azorius Signet
Basalt Monolith
Herald's Horn
Fist of Suns
Mirror of the Forebears
Sol Ring
Dreamstone Hedron
Door of Destinies
Heirloom Blade
Gate to the AEther
Commander's Sphere
Skullclamp
Wayfarer's Bauble
Urza's Incubator

Warstorm Surge
Berserkers' Onslaught
Abundance
Awakening Zone
Eldrazi Conscription
Flameshadow Conjuring
Kindred Discovery
Guardian Project
From Beyond

Ajani, the Greathearted

Call the Scions
Farseek
In Garruk's Wake
Skyshroud Claim
Mastermind's Acquisition
Seasons Past
Nissa's Renewal
Skittering Invasion

Simic Charm
Warping Wail

Godless Shrine
Stomping Ground
Overgrown Tomb
Darkwater Catacombs
Drowned Catacomb
Unclaimed Territory
Hissing Quagmire
Eldrazi Temple
Dragonskull Summit
Geier Reach Sanitarium
Temple of the False God
Westvale Abbey
Eye of Ugin
Blooming Marsh
Command Tower
Spawning Bed
Caves of Koilos
Foreboding Ruins
Terramorphic Expanse

Plains
Island
Island
Island
Island
Island
Island
Swamp
Swamp
Swamp
Mountain
Forest
Forest
Forest
Forest
Wastes
Wastes

My playgroup and I also decided that its okay for us to have wishboards, so here's what's in mine.

Liliana, dreadhorde general
Sorin, solemn visitor
Sorin, lord of instead
Vivien, champion of the wilds
Kozilek's return
Vorinclex, voice of hunger

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Morophon, the boundless eldrazi tribal
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-15 7:59 pm 

Hello and welcome! ;) I think we could use a little more information on how exactly you lose with this deck. Maybe you don't know why, but can you at least describe what roughly happened on the board in a couple of select situations?

Do you get mana-screwed (too few mana sources)? Do you only get colour-screwed (enough mana, but not in the colours required to cast your spells)?

Your land count is somewhat low for a deck with so many high-cost spells. You do have a lot of mana rocks to make up for that, but that's of little use when you don't even have two lands in your opening hand to cast a signet and get the ramp going. I'd suggest going up to maybe 38, possibly cutting some mana rocks in exchange for that.

I'm also not the biggest fan of two-coloured mana sources in five-coloured decks. I'm going to make a somewhat controversial statement here, but I guess it's only controversial because it questions many people's unquestioned core assumptions about "good cards":

Shocklands, Fetchlands, and even Revised Dual Lands are really overrated in Commander ;) . Even EDH veterans who own and use these, like the guys from the Command Zone, agree with that.

Shocks and Revised Duals are really only good in five-colour decks if you can fetch them. Otherwise, they're just a land in two random colours that you draw, and it might fit what you currently have in hand, or it might not. That doesn't mean though that, even if you invest in Shocklands and Fetchlands, that will improve your deck to an extent that is in any way proportional to the amount of money you'd have to pour into it. It's an extreme effort-reward imbalance, very much diminished returns.

Instead, there are a lot of often overlooked "rainbow lands" that tap for any colour, and what's more, they're also dirt cheap, because no-one except Commander players uses them! ;)

Command Tower, Rupture Spire, Transguild Promenade and Gateway Plaza go in pretty much all of my decks.
City of Brass and Grand Coliseum are cheaper versions of Mana Confluence.
Mirrodin's Core can also be charged up on any turns where you might not perfectly curve-out.
Exotic Orchard is stronger in five-colour decks than anywhere else, because you're always getting a use out of it, no matter what your opponents are playing (well, unless they're all running colourless decks, I guess :D ).
Crystal Quarry and Cascading Cataracts can mana-fix you completely in a pinch, even though you'll have one mana less in those turns. But given that they also tap for a colourless mana regularly and enter the battlefield untapped, you're not slowing yourself down all that much by playing them.

Reflecting Pool used to be cheap after it's heavy reprint in Conspiracy, but it has risen quite a bit again since then (more so in the US than in Europe, though). The pool is great in combination with not only any other rainbow land, but also the five Vivid Lands from Lorwyn (Vivid Meadow, Vivid Creek, Vivid Marsh, Vivid Crag, and Vivid Grove). If you control any one of these with just one counter remaining on it, that means you control a land that could tap for any colour of mana - therefore, Reflecting Pool taps for any colour.

The Vivid Lands are worthwhile inclusions even without Reflecting Pool, though - they often help you across some of the early turns where you might not have all your mana fixed yet, and once you're past that, they just happily tap for one mana like all the basics you pulled out of your deck until then.

When it comes to your mana rocks, just like with the Shocklands, I'd exchange the signets for more "rainbow" alternatives: Aside from the already included Darksteel Ingot and Commander's Sphere, there are also Spectral Searchlight, Manalith, Fountain of Ichor, Fellwar Stone (artifact version of Exotic Orchard), and, slightly more pricy, Chromatic Lantern and Coalition Relic.

Moving on to the deck itself, the first thing that strikes me as missing is mass removal. While you're trying to ramp up into big Eldrazi, other players are probably flooding the board with armies of little tokens. Even if you get out a heavy hitter, it will only be able to block one of the tokens, and Annihilator also becomes effectively useless if the defending player can just sac two tokens and then chump-block your Eldrazi with a third one.

Given your creatures' huge toughness, damaged-based boardwipes can be one sided in your deck, killing your smaller enemy creatures while keeping yours alive. I think of things like Savage Twister and Lavalanche here. Those can be just as one-sided as your In Garruk's Wake, but for a lot less mana. Cyclonic Rift is also one-sided, of course, but less "permanent", and also not the cheapest card to acquire. All Is Dust is completey one-sided in an all colorless deck; it would hit a couple of your creatures that are actually coloured, of course - just keep in mind that Devoid creatures aren't affected by it, because they're colourless, even though they require coloured mana to be cast. In this case, that is actually relevant for once.

But you also want some straight-up nuke buttons for when you're on the defense. Since token armies are probably the biggest thread for you, I'd go with things like Fumigate, Phyrexian Rebirth and Deadly Tempest that all thrive off of the number of creatures on the battlefield.

In general, make sure you have options for mass removal in several different colours. You don't want to be forced into a situation where you can't deal with an overflow of creatures simply due not having double-white or double-black available, because all your board-wipes are in one of those two colours.

The second thing lacking is card draw. You have a couple of enchantments that draw every time a creature enters the battlefield under your control. I think that is a good way to go in general, but you'll probably need more of them to reliably find one. Many of those "creature-draw-engines" are in Green: Elemental Bond, Garruk's Packleader, Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest, for example.

The Command Zone guys suggest about 8-10 slots each dedicated to ramp and card draw. Ramp, as I said, seems to be sufficient with the amount of mana rocks you have, I'd simply exchange the type of lands and rocks you use. But card-draw outlets should be higher in number. For mass removal, you probably want to have around 4-5 alternatives, ideally, as said before, across different colours.

Last edited by Strato Incendus on 2019-Aug-18 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-16 1:45 am 

Strato Incendus wrote:
The pool is great in combination with not only any other rainbow land, but also the five Vivid Lands from Lorwyn (Vivid Meadow, Vivid Creek, Vivid Marsh, Vivid Crag, and Vivid Grove). If you control any one of these with just one counter remaining on it, that means you control a land that could tap for any colour of mana - therefore, Reflecting Pool taps for any colour.

Just to clarify: the Vivid land doesn't even have to have any counters left on it. Reflecting Pool only needs the land to have the ability, regardless of whether you can actually activate it.

Otherwise I agree with everything Strato suggested.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-18 6:14 pm 

Oh, wow, cool, didn't know that yet! I guess it would be different if the Vivid Lands said "Activate this ability only if there's a charge counter on this land" - but that's usually superfluous because removing the counter is part of the cost.

Well, guess that makes the Vivid Lands even better, although Reflecting Pool's price is the main obstacle here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-19 4:21 am 

I am actually very suprised that no one has mentioned it before, but whenever I see that someone is playing Eldrazi Tribal I am targetting them. I have been burned by Annilator so many times that I won't give people a pass. Too often people will swing with enough to destroy mana bases but not enough to kill and then move on to the next person until everybody is crippled. It doesn't make for a fun game. Now your play group might be different, but I would be very shocked if this didn't have any effect on your win percentage.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-21 6:01 am 

OP: I don't think you need to spend more money on the deck; I think you might need to figure out what the deck's supposed to do. Right now it has a lot of powerful cards, but they don't necessarily work well together.

For starters, I don't think Morophon adds much to the deck. Most Eldrazi don't benefit from the mana cost reduction, and they're all titanic already, so they don't benefit much from the +1/+1 effect either. The only add is that it's a changeling, so it's kinda thematically tribal. I'd be tempted to swap to Golos, Tireless Pilgrim instead.

Beyond that, I can't tell what this deck is trying to do. If you wanted to play a control deck, Strato's advice is sound. Or the deck could add more ramp cards so it could play more quickly. Or it could run more ways to support planeswalkers (it seems like you like them). Or it could be token swarm. Or something else entirely. They are a lot of different lines this deck could follow, but right now it's trying to do all of them.

Inkeyes22 wrote:
whenever I see that someone is playing Eldrazi Tribal I am targetting them

That might depend a lot on the group. With the eldrazi decks I've played against, they're definitely powerful, but also slow and clumsy. So they mostly fit with the battlecruiser theme. YMMV.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-22 2:42 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I am actually very suprised that no one has mentioned it before, but whenever I see that someone is playing Eldrazi Tribal I am targetting them. I have been burned by Annilator so many times that I won't give people a pass. Too often people will swing with enough to destroy mana bases but not enough to kill and then move on to the next person until everybody is crippled. It doesn't make for a fun game. Now your play group might be different, but I would be very shocked if this didn't have any effect on your win percentage.

He seems to only be running one Eldrazi that actually has Annihilator though. Most of them seem to be the Devoid variety, which is honestly the direction I'd been thinking of going with a Morphon deck.

On that note, OP, I notice you have a couple of the "pain" duals already. I might suggest rounding out the set as many of the Devoid Eldrazi care about having specifically colorless mana available for activation costs and the like. You'll have the colored mana available when you need it without the need to "ping" yourself as often as many other decks running them.

Offline Profile