Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 3:47 am

Post subject: Who would like a free online course involving EDH?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 10:58 am 

So I am working on my MEd- Instructional Design and one of the requirements for my capstone is to develope a course for a group of individuals. One way to do this is to help out with a hobby (EDH) and so I would need a group of ideally 10-15 people that would be willing to provide feedback and ultimately take the course. I don't think this will be too time consuming, and I would be willing to send EDH cards to willing participants.

I would also be interested in hearing what you think would be the most relevant or interesting topic. I have a few options, such as:

Tips on Trading: How to Get Those Cards
Politics: Helping Others with their Threat Assessment
Spatial Awareness: Trying to see Three Moves Ahead
The Best Decks: How to Theorycraft a more Solid Deck
Group Dynamics in EDH: WHo's Who and Why?
Negotiation in "pick-up" game environments: How to Maximize Everybody's Fun
Ethics of group gaming (group fun, individual enjoyment and competitiveness)

Or if you have other options, I would love to hear about them. I am working at a University that is all about Competency so I might be ready for the capstone in 9 months or it could be 18 months (I am hoping to get started on it sometime in May/June of next year). So there is time to decide if you want to participate and discuss the topics that I listed above or inject new topics.

I appreciate your time and attention!

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2019-Oct-03 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Who would like a free online course involving EDH?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 11:49 am 

I'm interested.

How many topics will your course cover? Will it be designed as 1 lecture (with lab?) per topic, or one topic is en entire series of lectures and/or labs?

Have you considered "Magic: the Puzzling" style arrangements for threat assessment lessons (or other battlefield-centric lessons)?

Are you considering more esoteric topics such as Group Dynamics in EDH; negotiation in "pick-up" game environments (pre or peri-game); ethics of group gaming (group fun, individual enjoyment and competitiveness); etc.?

Edit: spag

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2019-Oct-07 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 1:38 pm 

Still working on details, but it will likely be a deep dive into one topic rather than several. Just getting started so I will have to adjust a little bit no doubt.

Depending on topic, I will likely have some type of "Magic: The Puzzling" maybe as the pretest?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2019-Oct-03 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 1:55 pm 

id give it a shot. sounds fun

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 11:19 pm 

If you could please follow this link and help me pick a topic that would be great: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JDY6KVS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-04 4:16 am 

done

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-04 5:19 am 

Shoe wrote:
done

Thank you! So far I have had 11 responses and it is very close.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-04 7:55 am 

Shoe wrote:
done

Ditto... and sad we didn't get to see the survey percentages after answering.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-04 9:02 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Shoe wrote:
done

Ditto... and sad we didn't get to see the survey percentages after answering.

I will post them in a bit, probably give it through the weekend.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-06 9:17 am 

I was hoping for more than 13 responses, hopefully I can get at least that many to be willing to take the course. Ethics of group gaming (group fun, individual enjoyment and competitiveness) won by a very slim margin. Gives me a direction to take it at least so now I can start focusing on that topic. I mean Ethics itself is a huge topic, but breaking it down into how it affects group dynamics will help to narrow the focus a bit and make it more interesting at once, I hope.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-06 9:23 am 

I can’t read that chart, resolution is too low. The ethics response was definitely in my top three though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-06 9:36 am 

I'd be interested in this too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-06 10:14 am 

I would be interested, and voted on my topics!

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 12:15 am 

Sinis wrote:
I would be interested, and voted on my topics!
Ditto

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 6:18 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I can’t read that chart, resolution is too low. The ethics response was definitely in my top three though.

Sorry about that, I was having a wierd issue with imgur.

I got 3 more responses today and Ethics is the clear winner now. I will start working on it, and likely be ready for it sometime next summer. I will keep everybody as up to date as you would prefer and really appreciate feedback. Thanks again!

Offline Profile