Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 7:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-21 1:15 am 

AWWW! lol I am building Stonebrow right now.
Well, thats cool, you had a few ideas I didn't, and vice-versa.

I can't wait to finish mine, it is gonna rule.
I mainly wanted to build it just because I found a foil Stonebrow for 0.25 hahaha

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-21 1:31 am 
EDH Rules Committee

That would be sweet to see your list. Also, I have yet to foil the General for this deck, as tradition dictates. I don't know if I will, though. Foil doesn't seem very 'Stonebrow' to me.

P.S. Mods, you can move this thread to Decklists if you want to. I've been keeping track of stuff in this thread for over a year, and I didn't want to make a new one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-21 5:44 am 

Overrun and Harmonize seem like good additions.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-25 11:27 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Overrun is honestly not very good in this deck. I usually win with two to four giant guys. It doesn't add that much damage, so I'd rather just have an extra creature that I can sandbag for any kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland that EDH games tend to become. Also, there are already a lot of fives on my mana curve.

As for Harmonize, you're probably right. I originally left it out just because it didn't excite me all that much, but drawing extra cards is basically the bees knees, no matter what archetype you're playing. I should find room for Harmonize.

What would you cut, people?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-31 7:03 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
I should find room for Harmonize.

My experience with mana people (and I'm looking at your birds of paradise here) is that, far more often than accelerating you early in the game, you draw them on turn twenty, just when you'd rather have a juggernaut instead.

I'd cut Birds.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-05 11:28 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Interesting fact: Oddly enough, this is the deck that holds my personal record for "Most Cards Drawn Ever at One Time". I sacrificed Lhurgoyf to Greater Good, and drew well over half my deck!

Sounds like when I Damnationed and my buddy was playing my Savra deck. He had Greater Good and Fecundity in play with Verdant Force, Symbiotic Wurm, Protean Hulk, a few other creatures, and ~25 tokens. I went to mill him out after he drew all of the cards from Greater Good/Fecundity, and the Gaea's Blessing was still in the library, and my hopes were dashed when it rolled off into the graveyard.

Yeah, that game got ugly in a hurry.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-05 2:01 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Overrun is honestly not very good in this deck. I usually win with two to four giant guys. It doesn't add that much damage, so I'd rather just have an extra creature that I can sandbag for any kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland that EDH games tend to become. Also, there are already a lot of fives on my mana curve.

As for Harmonize, you're probably right. I originally left it out just because it didn't excite me all that much, but drawing extra cards is basically the bees knees, no matter what archetype you're playing. I should find room for Harmonize.

I'd cut the fertilid and the talisman of impulse for a sakura tribe elder and the harmonize. Every time I have ever drawn fertilid, in both constructed and limited, I have always wished it was a STEve.

* This symbol means it is a joke.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-10 1:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Man, first of all, Fertilid has been awesome for me. +2 lands into play is massive, and he gets nutty with Genesis or Vigor.

Second of all, I don't know why Steve isn't in there yet. You're correct that he is way better than the Talisman.

So, +1 Harmonize and +1 Sakura Tribe Elder, -1 Birds of Paradise and -1 Talisman of Impulse, I guess. I'm still not completely sure about the Birds, though. I loves me the first turn acceleration.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-10 11:11 am 

I'm not sure if you're not playing Survival due to overlooking it, not owning it (doubtful), or for philosophical reasons (it's too good and not overly "fun"), but in my Stonebrow build it's pretty spiffy. I use it primarily to fetch out Anger/Brawn and the creatures I play to hit artifacts/enchantments, although it always has a use.

Yavimaya Hollow is another cute trick as well that people never seem to expect. I wouldn't play any creature heavy green deck without it.

Also, why no Okina or Shinka? You have several legendary guys, and they both help your guys at minimal cost.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and Avatar of Fury is crazy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-17 12:58 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, I don't play Survival because I believe it's too good. For events at my store, it's a part of a small additional ban list.

Yavimaya Hollow is an oversight. I'll definitely have to get my hands on another one of those.

As for the Kamigawa legends, though, I just don't like them. First of all, they're legendary, so they can get Vesuvad or Wastelanded, etc. Secondly, I like to have a healthy amount of basic land in my deck, especially when playing green. I want to have plenty of basics in play in case of Ruination style effects, and I want to have plenty of basics in my library for the off chance that I get Vigor + Fertillid, or someone casts New Frontiers for a lot (or whatever).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-18 10:16 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Yeah, I don't play Survival because I believe it's too good. For events at my store, it's a part of a small additional ban list.

Yeah, we have Mindslaver banned in our group because the card is idiotic and no one wants to play against it ever. It's kinda like Recurring Nightmare in that you need to counter it when it's dropped...but unlike RN, it's a lot easier to bring back, so you need to really fight to eliminate it completely. Or Dissipate it. Heh.

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
As for the Kamigawa legends, though, I just don't like them. First of all, they're legendary, so they can get Vesuvad or Wastelanded, etc. Secondly, I like to have a healthy amount of basic land in my deck, especially when playing green. I want to have plenty of basics in play in case of Ruination style effects, and I want to have plenty of basics in my library for the off chance that I get Vigor + Fertillid, or someone casts New Frontiers for a lot (or whatever).

I see where you're coming from, but I play both and they have been great for me almost every time I've played them. I also have managed to keep a lot of basics in the deck (I think 18), so it's something that I haven't had to worry about as yet, and I'll keep using Shinka/Okina until something forces me not to do so.

A couple more things I have in my build that you don't and have been successful are Primordial Sage and the aforementioed Avatar of Fury. The Sage allows you to keep drawing gas, and the Avatar is just insane. You'll NEVER pay full price for it, and RR for a 6/6 flier with 0 drawback is pretty nutty. There are so many ways in this deck to give your guys trample and haste that he just bashes in for tons of damage all the time.

Anyway, just my thoughts. And thanks for inspiring me to build Stonebrow...it's easily my favorite current deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-18 10:54 am 

I also like Primordial Sage and I play him in just about every green deck I have.

* This symbol means it is a joke.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-26 12:21 pm 

Well, after playing, swapping cards, playing more, swapping more card, and doing so several more times, I have finally sort of completed my Stonebrow deck. Unfortunately, it is awfully close to your list, Ban Ki-moon. I'll post it for posterity's sake anyway, I suppose.

CREATURES:
Arashi, the Sky Asunder
Brawn
Bringer of the Green Dawn
Chameleon Colossus
Child of Gaea
Cloudthresher
Elvish Piper
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Hystrodon
Indrik Stomphowler
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Lhurgoyf
Living Hive
Molimo, Maro-Sorceror
Primordial Sage
Silklash Spider
Spectral Force
Vigor
Viridian Zealot
Weatherseed Treefolk
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Anger
Bloodshot Cyclops
Bringer of the Red Dawn
Dragon Mage
Fumiko the Lowblood
Heartless Hidetsugu
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Rorix Bladewing
Shivan Hellkite
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Stalking Vengeance

SPELLS:
Harmonize
Savage Beating
Wheel of Fate
Wheel of Fortune

ENCHANTMENTS:
Greater Good
Mirri's Guile
Survival of the Fittest
Sylvan Library
In the Web of War
Fires of Yavimaya
Overabundance

PLANESWALKERS:
Garruk Wildspeaker

ARTIFACTS:
Aether Vial
Cauldron of Souls
Gruul Signet
Gruul War Plow
Heart of Ramos
Horn of Ramos
Loxodon Warhammer
Mind Stone
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Talisman of Impulse

LAND:
Forgotten Cave
Fungal Reaches
Ghitu Encampment
Grove of the Burnwillows
Gruul Turf
Hammerheim
Highland Weald
Karplusan Forest
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
Shinka,the Bloodsoaked Keep
Shivan Oasis
Skargg, the Rage Pits
Stomping Ground
Strip Mine
Thawing Glaciers
Tranquil Thicket
Treetop Village
Vesuva
Wasteland
Yavimaya Hollow
9x Forest
8x Mountain

I have lost 2 games with this deck out of probably ~20 played. The first was in a multiplayer where my friend's Doran/Enchantress deck got out of hand, and the other was when I kept a 2 land hand with Aether Vial and didn't draw any creatures except for Brawn and Stalking Vengenace.

This deck is good times. Smash face!

Last edited by TheAardvark on 2008-Jul-03 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-02 11:00 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Raah! Stonebrow! Yeah! Nice deck. I like how RG is actually the sound you make when you play red/green. Also, I never really thought about Aether Vial in EDH... hmmm...

By the way, you guys convinced me to try out Avatar of Fury and Primordial Sage. They've been in my decks before (Oros and Vig, respectively) but they were lackluster. I think that this deck, though, will suit them much better.

(the sound of darts hitting a board)

I'll be taking out Fledgeling Dragon and Silklash Spider, I guess, once I gain control of the two bigger creatures. It's surprisingly hard to get threshold in this deck anyhow, and the Spider blocks too much.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-03 3:55 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Raah! Stonebrow! Yeah! Nice deck. I like how RG is actually the sound you make when you play red/green. Also, I never really thought about Aether Vial in EDH... hmmm...

By the way, you guys convinced me to try out Avatar of Fury and Primordial Sage. They've been in my decks before (Oros and Vig, respectively) but they were lackluster. I think that this deck, though, will suit them much better.

(the sound of darts hitting a board)

I'll be taking out Fledgeling Dragon and Silklash Spider, I guess, once I gain control of the two bigger creatures. It's surprisingly hard to get threshold in this deck anyhow, and the Spider blocks too much.
Taking out Silklash Spider is always a mistake.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next